SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

BOOK FOR BEGINERS

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to learn more about astronomy....

Then Dinah Moche's " Astronomy - A self teaching guide" is the one to have. We used it as course notes for our beginners sessions. Excellent. Highly recommended.

For observing:

Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas.

Thompson & Thompson's Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders.

For the coffee-table:

Rees' Illustrated Encyclopedia of the Universe

Sparrow's Cosmos

For a general introduction:

Gribbin's Stardust

Ferris' Coming of Age in the Milky Way

Sagan's Cosmos

Bryson's A Short History

For the poet in you:

Raymo's Soul of the Night

if your just observing then turn left at Orion is a good easy to read book to have, tells you what you should see if your in the right area, On the other hand if you want to get in to astrophotography then i would recommed every photon counts which is another straight forward book.

Both excellent books for beginners.

The problem with reading these threads s that I now want all of these books!    Just ordered a copy of that Reymo one!

Its superb.  Problem reading Raymo is that you will want Natural Prayers & Honey from Stone too. 

I am a beginner and I can vouch for Turn Left at Orion.

You will need a Red Torch to read it outside without spoiling your night vision. I purchased a led torch from Wilkos with a 40mm lens for about £3.50 and 2 sheets of Rubylith off ebay, for £2.99 inc p.p. I only needed one sheet but only sold in 2`s. Cut 3 x disks same size as the inside of torch and away you go.  Dead easy to do ,I did try  2 x disks but was a just a bit bright for me at least. 

For the coffee table, I would not hesitate one bit in recommending "Atlas of the Messier Objects", by Ronald Stoyan. This is a large book at ( 24.4x3x31cm) but very informative on the History of Messier and others, with splendid photographic plates of all the Charles Messier objects that he found for you to avoid while Comet hunting, the only trouble, it has gone up in price and is now rather expensive :)

Archived