Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

retaining colours in the stars

Careful stretching of the histogram so you don't clip the white point. If they are burnt out straight from the camera, drop the ISO or take a set of shorter subs just for star colour and layer them in.

Don't alter your ISO to prevent star saturation.    Choose your ISO to make the most of faint detail.  You can then do a few low ISO frames to add into the mix if necessary.  There is a myth out there that DSLR cameras destroy star colour because of saturation.  I rarely encounter this problem, even using 5 min exposures at f/2.8 at ISO 800.  I think the problem is applying a large dose of "Photoshop curves" to the image too quickly.  It pushes all bright objects to saturated white unless you are very careful.

Mark

Don't alter your ISO to prevent star saturation.    Choose your ISO to make the most of faint detail.  You can then do a few low ISO frames to add into the mix if necessary.  There is a myth out there that DSLR cameras destroy star colour because of saturation.  I rarely encounter this problem, even using 5 min exposures at f/2.8 at ISO 800.  I think the problem is applying a large dose of "Photoshop curves" to the image too quickly.  It pushes all bright objects to saturated white unless you are very careful.

Mark

Yes. I regularly shoot 7min at ISO1600 f/5 and have no problem retaining star colour. Careful processing is the key and turning offall the in camera preprocessing.

But a set of short subs just for star colour is quite easy to do.

Archived