SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Stacking frames of different orientation/quality in Deep Sky Stacker

Probably not a wise thing to do but I have a about 12 x LRGB (48 in total) frames of M101 (with relevant flat frames)

I then took my imaging chain apart and cleaned it.

I then took 3 x LRGB (12 in total) "clearer" frames, albeit at a different angle (about 90 degrees).

What advice would the pros give me on how to stack this data?

I'm thinking of rotating the latter frames to match the former orientation and then using two of the lower tabs in DSS as I would with subs of different lengths?

Would very much welcome some tips!

I use a software package called Registar for that, from Auriga Imaging, it is priced in US dollars and with the current exchange rate it is quite good value at the moment.

Registar will rotate, resize, align and stack images from different focal length telescopes, different sized detectors, different pixel depths etc.

You can download and try the evaluation copy for free to see if it suits though you won't be able to save your finished image.

This is the link to the Auriga home page:

http://www.aurigaimaging.com

I use a software package called Registar for that, from Auriga Imaging, it is priced in US dollars and with the current exchange rate it is quite good value at the moment.

Registar will rotate, resize, align and stack images from different focal length telescopes, different sized detectors, different pixel depths etc.

You can download and try the evaluation copy for free to see if it suits though you won't be able to save your finished image.

This is the link to the Auriga home page:

http://www.aurigaimaging.com

Hey that sounds very worthwhile I will check it out - thanks Oddsocks!

Regstar is great but it isn't a calibration programme so doesn't do darks and flats. I think you should build two separate images, each stretched close to its limit, then Registar them to fit each other but don't combine them in RS. Take them, registered, into Ps and layer them, choosing an opacity which gives the lowest noise. Flatten and strech further.

Olly

Archived