Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coloured Filters.

Yrs ago i bought an EP kit which included 6 coloured filters. I only had a small 90mm refractor back then and didnt find them of much use for planetary observing. To be honest, i dont think the filters were bad..............i just did not get along with my scope which was on an EQ mount. I gave the coloured filters away for free to a fellow SGL member.

What goes around,comes around because a few mins ago i placed an order for the same set of 6 coloured filters (different branding) which i hope will enhance my planetary observing and even my new found solar observing. I now have an 8 inch SCT, and also a Hershel Wedge (and safety filters) for safe observing of the Sun with my little 70mm Travelscope.

Its my birthday today and this is all i could really think of to buy myself:

http://www.astroshop.eu/omegon-color-filter-set-1-25-6-pieces-/p,11333

Happy Birthday, you may want to try a Baader Neodymium for Christmas......

I have an ND3.0,Solar continuum and variable polarising filter for solar observing. I'm guessing the ND means "neutral density"?. What is a Neodymium filter for?.

I also have a UHC,OIII,Moon filter,as well as a LPF.

If there is a 1.25" solar H-Alpha filter available for my set up..............i'd love to hear about it.

Would this suit me?. I just want to add it to my 70mm refractor scope along with my Hershel wedge and filters.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Astronomik_H_Alpha_Filter_1_25__.html

I'm guessing not as they do mention CCD in the sales pitch.

The Neodymium filter will does improve contrast on Jupiter and Mars

IIRC..............does a Yellow/Red/Orange Wratten filter not  do the same thing (apparently).

I'm happy with the unfiltered views i get of Jupiter and ive never had much luck with Mars, so i aint gonna buy a filter that is only of use on those 2 planets.

I'll give the set of 6 coloured a go and see how i get on once again. Not a huge expenditure.

Thanks for the advice though.

Might need a bigger EP/filter case.

The Neodymium filter will does improve contrast on Jupiter and Mars

This filter works well for me too, I won't be without one now. I stack it with a 50% ND Lumicon when conditions demand and this combo has proven itself on many occasions. Some of my best views have been with the Neo, I like this filter.

Sorry Dweller, i didnt mean to be so abrupt with you about the neodymium filter. I'm not a big planetary observer. I'm more of a nebulae observer. The coloured filters should do for what i want to do with observing planets when they are there to be seen.

Thanks everyone for the input.

I knew i should have kept those filters when i got them back in 2008.

Live and learn. 

Archived