Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ethos - OK I was wrong........

Moonshane

I was happily using my type 2 Naglers (16mm and 12mm) in my 16" dob at SGLX next to Stu (Bigsumorian) looking at M37 and loving the view. Then some stirrer called Derek (DRT) swanned by and suggested I try his 17mm Ethos on the same object. My verbal reaction was rather rude to say the least. Although obviously the field was wider, I was really shocked at the brightness of the image in comparison with my 16mm T2. We then tried the 21mm Ethos and this was actually less impressive than the 17mm. 

This was repeated a few times during the night with Stu's 17mmE and 13mmE with the same effect. I suspect that I will still prefer e.g. the moon in my older T2s but am now seriously considering a 17mm Ethos to go along with my 26mm Nagler as I feel they would be great together in the big dob with Radians.

The only factor we didn't rule out was the T4 17mm also in Stu's case as I do prefer the 82 degree field in truth and this will be an interesting comparison in due course with the Ethos and the T2s. 

Don't you just love star parties?  :grin:

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shane,

I don't really understand apart from the fact it is a few millimeters longer, you used to have the 13mm Ethos and from that should have known how good they were. However I agree you didn't have them side by side. I know you never liked the Moon with the 13mm but apart from that I recall you really liked it.

I was using Naglers albeit T5's and T6's against a few of my Ethos the other night and I would not say the difference was that evident.

BTW it takes a man to admit mistakes.

What now back to Ethos?

Hmmm. Sounds familiar.

At least you have the Big dob already.

I've come away from SGL with Ethos AND Scope envy!!

Never thought that I could use the Ethos due to the 12mm eye relief. Turns out that I was wrong.

Damn......

That said, we did try a 13mm Ethos vs a 12mm Delos vs a ES 82° 11mm in a 16". The Ethos came off worse in the subjective spur of the moment straw pole. However, Stu's 16" / Ethos13mm combo blew me away.

Paul

hmmmmm ......maybe I should also consider Delos. As I say, I do prefer the smaller field of the Naglers so maybe the Delos would be more like it.

I am not going to jump just yet as I still really like the type 2s. BUT there was a definite difference illustrated by side by side comparison. that said, the sale of the 13mm Ethos did allow me to get into Ha solar which I enjoy massively.

My quandary is that to get a bigger dob than I currently have, I'd have to sell my Ethos eyepieces :undecided:

I have worked out if I sell my 16mm T2 and save until Christmas I can get a decent used 17mm Ethos or perhaps a 17.3 Delos by June. I'd be interested to hear of those that have tried Ethos Vs. delos of the same focal lengths as above, particularly if they have also brought naglers into the mix. I am definitely in the save or sell to buy camp too mate.

very interesting John

seems to support the Delos approach and perhaps explains why I see more difference between the 16mm Nagler and Ethos in my 16" than my 12" (the scope I tested them on at the time and saw less difference for sure.

My two cents about 17Ethos and 21Ethos,

For all the fast dobs (f4.5 or faster), 17E should work better than 21E in all DSO except a few large extended ones, simply becaus 17E has about 1mm small exit than the 21E (about 4mm in 17E than 5mm in 21E).

I have compared Ethos with Delos, 6mm, 8mm, 10mm  and 13mmE with 12mmD and14mmD many times and in the smaller scopes I can't say I can see a great difference, I have not had a chance to do this in the new Dob which after reading the report John linked is only a finderscope.

I would say the biggest difference I see is in 12 inch Meade using 13mmE and 14mm D but there is not really anything to sing about.

Alan

Don't sell those eps John big dobs are rubbish

I'm not about to Calvin. Practicality means that anything much larger / bulkier / heavier / more hassle than my 12" F/5.3 won't be a worthwhile investment for me. I'm not going to suddenly start driving out to really dark skies nor is my garden going to get larger and less light polluted overnight. If I put a 16" where my 12" dob lives a divorce would be forthcoming which would make all costs pale into insignificance anyway :smiley:

I consider myself lucky to have a fine 12" dob and some superb eyepieces to use with it. My glass is more than half full :smiley:

I would say the 17mm ethos does seem to work superbly well in a 16" scope. Its a match made in heaven (Pardon) if you ask me. 

Personally i find the Delos (although super sharp) lack the Wow! factor but then as usual thats a personal thing. ;)

My quandary is that to get a bigger dob than I currently have, I'd have to sell my Ethos eyepieces :undecided:

I'm sure I heard you say you were going to sell your Ethoi and replace them with a big(ger) dob and a set of BSTs John ;)

Of course you may not have been serious :D

I would say the 17mm ethos does seem to work superbly well in a 16" scope. Its a match made in heaven (Pardon) if you ask me.

Personally i find the Delos (although super sharp) lack the Wow! factor but then as usual thats a personal thing. ;)

It was more the brightness than the field that wowed me mate. Based on comments maybe a 17.3 delos is a sensible step for me.

Shane,

I don't really understand apart from the fact it is a few millimeters longer, you used to have the 13mm Ethos and from that should have known how good they were. However I agree you didn't have them side by side. I know you never liked the Moon with the 13mm but apart from that I recall you really liked it.

I was using Naglers albeit T5's and T6's against a few of my Ethos the other night and I would not say the difference was that evident.

BTW it takes a man to admit mistakes.

What now back to Ethos?

He can't have it back!!! I've been using it tonight with guests and it's too good...

:grin: lly

I'm wondering if the longer eye relief of the Delos precludes the immersive view that you get from the ethos. I'm also guessing that the extra brightness is a very pleasurable optical elision which comes from there being just so much more of the image (FOV) in the Ethos.

Good luck finding a 17.3mm Delos. I've had Wanted ads on SGL and ABS. No Joy.

Paul

Archived