Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Asteroid YB35

Astro-man44

Hi astro-man44.  Interesting question.  While a newbie here, I've been at this sport quite some time.

You can drive yourself nuts with all the NEO's and close approach objects out there!  While some are big enough and bright enough to actually see in the eyepiece, many are tiny -- a few dozen meters in diameter -- and mighty dim.  In addition, they are moving across the sky pretty quickly as they whiz by, so you need a fairly large 'scope and a pretty sophisticated setup to track 'em down and follow them.  I know a fellow that has spent 40 years star-hopping to these tiny visitors with a 12.5" Dob, and that's some serious work!  Much easier with a programmable mount and modern CCD camera!

To see a list of all the predicted close approaches coming up, check this link to the Minor Planet Center:  http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/iau/lists/CloseApp.html

You'll find YB35 buried in there -- they are sorted by close approach date.

Clear skies,

Brad Vietje

Northern VT, USA

...and here's the newest observational data on 2014 YB35, including observations from last night:  http://www.minorplanetcenter.net/db_search/show_object?object_id=2014+YB35&commit=Show

Looks like it was about M16.2 in V (visual, or green), and about M17 in red.  I was curious, because I do have access to a scope that could capture this one -- a very large object as minor planets go -- and wanted to see if it was positioned where I might be able to image it.  It's moving pretty quickly now, so I still need to figure that out!

Brad Vietje

Northern Vermont

• 1 month later...

Archived