SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

C9.25/ASI174MM shakedown and a stereo image

Nick Smith

A couple of images from the 22nd.  Seeing was fair, about 5/10, transparency very poor so had to use a very high gain.  This was the first bash with a new imaging train:  C9.25, Crayford focuser, Seibert optics 3x barlow, filter wheel + camera.  According to WinJupos, the imaging scale was 0.14 arc secs per pixel, which comes out to be a tad under f37.  I think this will probably prove optimal for this scope/camera in good conditions, but was probably a bit too much this particular day.

These two images were taken at 2138 and 2202 UT.  Looking at them last night I realised that they worked well as a stereo pair.  If you can do the cross-eyed thing, give it a go.  I was amazed by the clarity of detail that pops out! 

original.jpg

I am off on holiday with this scope tomorrow, so will hopefully have something decent to show in  a couple of weeks time.

Great stereo image.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I see you have a Siebert Optics Barlow. Optically it is clearly good, judging by your result. Is that the tele-centric or regular one? I am interested in their tele-centrics, especially the 1.75x as it would give full disk at max resolution on my ASI174MM. Did you order it directly from the US, or is there a dealer in Europe?

Terrific. There is a 'richness' to these images that I don't think I've seen before. And virtually noise free. Seeing only 5/10 you say?

How many frames did you take, and how many did you keep?

Nick, nice images. I am interested in how WINJupos works out the arcseconds per pixel....I have only used it once, but would be interested to see what it thinks my images are. is it logged in any output, or within the measurement files?

Thanks for any advice.

Thanks for all the comments everyone

Great stereo image.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I see you have a Siebert Optics Barlow. Optically it is clearly good, judging by your result. Is that the tele-centric or regular one? I am interested in their tele-centrics, especially the 1.75x as it would give full disk at max resolution on my ASI174MM. Did you order it directly from the US, or is there a dealer in Europe?

I have the 1.5-3x variable Barlow.  From my limited use it seems an absolute winner for visual and imaging.  I ordered it direct from Harry in the US and got stung for import duties when it came in.  I am not sure if Harry is taking any orders at he moment, you will have to check with him.

Terrific. There is a 'richness' to these images that I don't think I've seen before. And virtually noise free. Seeing only 5/10 you say?

How many frames did you take, and how many did you keep?

May have been 6/10 at times, but was not what I would call "good" seeing.  I was taking about 60s per channel.  Because of the high gain and exposure setting, I was limited to "just" 90 fps at 640x480 (the camera can do 300 fps+ on my laptop).  So I stacked 2500 of approximately 5500 in AS!2.

Nick, nice images. I am interested in how WINJupos works out the arcseconds per pixel....I have only used it once, but would be interested to see what it thinks my images are. is it logged in any output, or within the measurement files?

Thanks for any advice.

Hi Steve.  Without having the software open, if I recall correctly the arcseconds per pixel figure is at the bottom right of the screen on the image measurement window.

excellent images the 2nd one is my favourite !

As for the "If you can do the cross-eyed thing, give it a go"  all i see is four Jupiters :grin:

Ha! Yes not everyone can do it!  I never used to be able, but as my eyesight has deteriorated over the years I seem to have mysteriously gained the power...

Archived