Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion

fredman

Hello

I saw somewere a discution about this EPs and the ability of using it for AP and connecting it to a t-ring

As i recall is Afocal AP, correct?

I don't remember the explanation, but i remember thinking that was a good alternative to the t-adapter (barlow). Although is a 2x i dont think that gives a magnification good enough.

For example i did AP of jupiter and saw just a big white ball, nothing much.

Will this EP be a good choice for AP with a DSLR

And of course there is a lot of "mm" to choose from, but in the case of this one what would be the best for planet/dso viewing for my scope (signature)

Thanks

I have them all and the bits to connect them to a DSLR for eyepiece projection

They work very well and its a good solid connection to the camera but its a heavy connection so make sure your thumb screws are all in place. 

Good for DSO's but DSLR's arent great for planetary, it can be done but you'd be better getting a webcam or a planetary camera.

Bear in mind though at £90 a pop 2 or 3 hyperions starts you in to the price brackets of the planetary cameras anyway.

The Hyperions have a 43mm thread under the rubber eye piece, you need a 42/43mm reducer so a T-Ring can srew on and a DSLR attached, it does work but the lower the power of the EP the better the results...

This what it looks like with a 5mm Pentax XW attached...

2012-05-18191335.jpg

By the way, as you said "the lower the power of the EP the better the results.

Let's say the gap of 20mm - 32mm low power EP, is it indiferent which one i choose or is there any particularity?

Will they all (between the said gap) have the same type of viewing?

I've used the entire set of Hyperion EP's for visual use, and they are nice eyepieces.  Good quality, good coatings and contrast, and very good eye relief.  Reasonably wide angle at 68 degrees.  I've never taken them apart & used them w/out the field lenses, so I can not attest to their correction and/or sharpness when used this way -- maybe others here can report on this.  I would hesitate to screw these to a DSLR, given the weight, but the smaller planetary "eyepiece" cameras should work really well.

Clear skies,

I had a 5mm Hyperion once. Didn't rate it much and sold it on for a profit within a month or two for a 5mm ortho. But, regarding using it as a "2 inch mode" eyepiece - the 5mm gave a 22mm I think. It was awful.... Poorly corrected in my opinion. Everything was soft at the edges and coma was extreme. My scope at the time was a Celestron 8 inch reflector and never displayed coma before in any eyepiece I had.

John

The Hyperions have a 43mm thread under the rubber eye piece, you need a 42/43mm reducer so a T-Ring can srew on and a DSLR attached, it does work but the lower the power of the EP the better the results...

This what it looks like with a 5mm Pentax XW attached...

2012-05-18191335.jpg

Were you talking abou this?

http://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/Baader_Hyperion_T_Adaptor.html

Archived