SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Orion's sword

I was just looking at  the  star on the top right of Orion and as i was going down to see his sword through his belt, I think i came across the fuzzy part half way down his sword, and I could not focus my telescope on it was that the nebula what everybody talks about.

I  don't know what its called, but it was very interesting think I need a better telescope and join a club in Doncaster

Cheers Stephen.

Oops! Sorry spelling of  Orion wrong a few times will get my head sorted one day.

Not to worry, it's no big deal, but I edited it for you anyway.

By the way, welcome to SGL. Enjoy your stay with us.

A Mod.

Oops! Sorry spelling of  Orion wrong a few times will get my head sorted one day.

Not to worry, it's no big deal, but I edited it for you anyway.

A Mod.

The Nebula in the Orion Sword is known as Messier 42 The Great Nebula in Orion.

Beautiful sight in a large aperture telescope, and no slouch in a small one either.

Joining an Astronomy Society in your Home Town is a great Idea.

Yep, from your description that was the Otion Nebula alright. It's a wonderful thing to look at. Have another look and see if you can spot 4 stars in a trapezium shape. They are,unsurprisingly called the trapezium.

Now you've ticked off M42, you've only got another 109 Messier objects to go to complete the catalogue.

The most important thing is to enjoy your astronomy, sounds like you're getting well hooked.

yep i saw 4 stars was going to take a photo but my camara on my phone iant that good is there a Messier catalouge i can buy or download and yes i am well and truly hooked don`t know why i did not get back into it years ago opps children lol

One on line resource amongst many is Wickipedia:- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Messier_objects

For books there is O'Meara's  guide:- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Deep-Sky-Companions-David-H-Levy/dp/0521553326/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1427384426&sr=1-6&keywords=messier+catalogue

I should add there are plenty of others.

I have to admit that it' the one thing I look at just about every time I turn on my kit.

Except of course when it is not visible before 2am!

We are actually part of Orion arm in the Galaxy so we're considered to be quite close to the nebula - there's a few things worth looking at thereabouts but not all visible in small scopes (less than 10")

It's a wonderful way to start off your Astrophotography once you get some capable kit.

You can of course do quite a bit with minimal kit but it can be frustrating.

Hence the catalogues with ever better mounts and cameras. Most of which none of us will ever be able to afford.post-36524-0-66515900-1427855181.jpg

This is about what you'd see through the lens with most scopes up to 10"

Archived