SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

More nice ASI174MM Saturns etc...

Kokatha man

We're beginning to think that the ASI174MM does offer some improvements over the ASI120MM-S...nothing absolute in objective terms but so far this year we have not had any seeing that I would really classify as "good" but have managed several imaging outcomes where the end-images seem to be considerably better than what one would expect for said seeing conditions...

The last session out in the Murray Mallee was a case in point - there were moments when the onscreen feed flickered into a sharply-defined image but mostly "vibrated" - manifesting as a slightly "dirty" & less-defined onscreen image.

This was displayed in AS!2 as avi's where several had very nice "best single frames" but with graphs that swung wildly & without the more steady uniformity that good seeing delivers - making focus a bit of an effort also! :) (still waiting for new glasses doesn't help much either! ;) )

In the soon-to-be "Image Processing" section of our website I will display screenshots displaying instances such as these along with a lot of actual processing applications: it will be fairly "higgledy-piggledy" at first because it is a very onerous undertaking, but it will eventually start to take some order & comprehensiveness...

Here is an image from the 20th March (UT date) - be sure to go the our website for the super-sized version & make sure you click on the image & then click again on the one that opens if you don't possess a really big screen like we do...in fact I find that the best way to look at anything on our website is to plug an HDMI cable into your machine & connect it to your home widescreen HD television... ;)

On the website you'll also see a couple of very nice iR Saturns with loads of surface detail from this night: http://momilika.net/WebPages/LatestSaturnPics.htm

post-3551-0-00394800-1427187175_thumb.pn

I've been communicating with a couple of the ADC manufacturers for some feedback additional to what I've already picked up...we've captured several quite detailed iR images of late as well as passable rgb's for such a low elevation (38°) & believe the ADC might be worth purchasing - Saturn & Mars next year probably won't benefit by one for rgb's but Uranus could...& also Luminance is evidently much enhanced even when the planets are high in the sky...to be continued ;) but here are the latest iR's at capture scale from this Mallee trip...

post-3551-0-01620100-1427187213.png

post-3551-0-01613600-1427187252.png

Superb images Darryl and I most certainly will have a look at the website! Interested in this new camera...

Best regards,

Ralph

Thanks Steve, Stuart & Ralph! :)

Not really likely Stuart, the different pixel-sizing of the sensors makes that very unlikely because I'd have to swap out parts of imaging trains & reassemble etc...much too difficult tbh. :(

Some advantage might well be that resorting to a 2" Antares 2X barlow before the EFW & screwing the ASI174MM directly onto the EFW's back has brought the camera much closer in to the back of the C14 which must have some benefits (I've already commented in another thread re the star-patterns during collimating) but I do "suspect" (certainly supposition as opposed to objective fact) that this camera is a step forward...as I said we really haven't had seeing yet like we got at times during the last few apparitions & if we do I "suspect" we'll be very surprised by the outcomes... ;)

Archived