Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher Heritage Virtuoso controlled via bluetooth

jpgr

skysafari plus (or pro) + virtuoso telescope control app + bluetooth module from

http://armazemdotelescopio.com.br/loja/index.php/montagem/modulo-bluetooth-para-montagens-allview-virtuoso-dob-goto-tele-track-az-goto-detail

(google translate the webpage)

the virtuoso app acts as a bridge between skysafari and the heritage mount. no synscan handset needed.

the bluetooth module comes with a connecting lead and gets its power from the telescope base unit.  (ordered 18th march - delivered 23rd march)

a lot cheaper than a synscan handset and skyfi module.

now just waiting for some clear skies

It's already arrived.

Plug in the module, turn on the telescope base unit.

Pair the tablet and module. Open app virtuoso and the mount settings were automatically recognised.

One, two or three star alignment.

Open skysafari select the scope option.

Press connect and away it goes.

The app virtuoso can also move the telescope, change the tracking speed (sidereal, lunar etc) and fire off a connected dslr.  the first time I tried I forgot to pair the devices. Once I realised this it connected straightaway.

It's already arrived.

Plug in the module, turn on the telescope base unit.

Pair the tablet and module. Open app virtuoso and the mount settings were automatically recognised.

One, two or three star alignment.

Open skysafari select the scope option.

Press connect and away it goes.

The app virtuoso can also move the telescope, change the tracking speed (sidereal, lunar etc) and fire off a connected dslr.  the first time I tried I forgot to pair the devices. Once I realised this it connected straightaway.

I would like to do the same thing but I don't have an Android device. Do you know if it works with a bluetooth connection from a regular laptop running Stellarium? The website mentions this but I do not know if you need additional drivers since it would not be using the Android app. 

Also, they've updated the website with an English product page and YouTube demo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q03p2Tc6q9U

http://expansesky.com/

I also confirmed that the Virtuoso can be  controlled as an equatorial mount via the app if you happen to have it on a wedge. By the way, thanks for posting about this, it is exactly what I was looking for!

you also need the ascom platform installed and eqmod - i can write you a rough guide if it would help

My first telescope, the Skywatcher 90mm Mak arrived tonight and I wanted to try it out despite the full overcast here. The moon was bright enough but just too clouded to bring into focus. I figured why not at least take a look at Jupiter which was very bright nearly directly overhead. It took me a while to get it in the scope but when I did...it took my breath away. 

I've never seen a planet like this with my own eyes. I did not expect much out of this little scope, never mind with these conditions, but somehow the seeing was good and the planet came into crystal clear focus. My jaw dropped as I saw for the first time the dark mid bands and the 4 moons aligned exactly as Stellarium depicted. Needless to say I was instantly hooked and can't wait to start capturing my own images.

I've ordered the bluetooth module from Expanse Sky and would greatly appreciate if you could put together a guide for me to use my laptop with it!

from what i understand (although i might have over confused myself) the virtuoso with a Synscan controller can be controlled directly through a serial port by Stellarium.

Direct control of the virtuoso can be achieved using EQMOD (which means you dont need the Synscan handset).

Stellarium needs the ASCOM platform to interface to EQMOD.

stellariumscope is the friendly front end to ascom and eqmod.

so i downloaded and installed:
the ascom platform
eqascom - (might not be needed but listed on the stellariumscope site)
stellariumscope
Driver AZ GOTO do Armazém  http://sourceforge.net/projects/driverazgoto/

the bluetooth module takes the place of a connecting cable but you need to allocate a com port for the module

selected Driver AZ GOTO do Armazém from the mount select list in stellariumscope
using the com port allocated from above. changed long, lat etc to the appropriate settings.

updated the settings in stellariumscope and started stellarium.

you can also control the scope via android using Virtuoso Telescope Control (free) and skysafari plus/pro (not free)

Godit: i still remember my first view of jupiter and know what you mean :smiley:

It is easy to make a wedge, I made one for my barn door mount as no tripod here, from bits of chipboard lying around. I didn't bother making an adjustable one as it won't be needed.

5 bits of wood and various fixings. Free already had them

3 leveling feet. £4

1 caravan spirit level. £2

It is easy to make a wedge, I made one for my barn door mount as no tripod here, from bits of chipboard lying around. I didn't bother making an adjustable one as it won't be needed.

5 bits of wood and various fixings. Free already had them

3 leveling feet. £4

1 caravan spirit level. £2

I suppose I could put one together with some scrap plywood. How precise do you think I have to be? I'll be using a tablesaw and measuring tape, not exactly precise CNC machining. 

No but it is better than no wedge.

I used an old school protractor to mark the angle and a good clean sharp saw. I had a lip in the design so it would be easy to put a top board on and not have the virtuoso mount slip off.

gallery_28282_2744_727341.jpg

Two adjustable feet at the front, one at the rear.

There is a backboard as well (out of sight) and the whole unit is very strong and stable.

It was an old kitchen cupboard shelf or something similar, all raw edges got 3 coats of pva glue as it is only chipboard.

Should add following another comment below I have no idea how the virtuoso motors will behave or wear if the mount is used at an angle.

Edited by happy-kat

This is all fantastic stuff, now all somebody needs to do is bring out an affordable wedge for it.

I wonder how the mount will handle the load when put up to nearly 45 degrees. Will it effect the motors?

It certainly looks like the product on page 9 of this manual

http://www.skywatcher.com/downloads/MiniDOB.pdf

Although the manual I got appears to be newer (from Celestron maybe?) has no mention of equitorial mounts, 

i uninstalled everything and started from scratch:

turn on the scope with bluetooth module attached the light on the module should keep flashing.
open windows devices and printers - add device
select HC-06 bluetooth other
pair without code - device has been added
HC-06 should appear in devices and printers window
windows message should appear saying successfully installed device
close devices and printers window

open control panel, type bluetooth in search bar at top right

under devices and printers select change bluetooth settings
select com ports tab on new bluetooth settings dialog that opens
click add button
add com port dialog appears
select outgoing option
select hc-06 from drop down list
Dev B (or something similar) should appear in the Service list
click ok

windows should start installing software and then announce success with a com port number
the bluetooth settings dialog should now show the port used, outgoing direction and HC-06 Dev B as the name
click OK to close the bluetooth settings dialog.
close control panel.

http://download.ascom-standards.org/ASCOMPlatform61SP1.exe
download and install the ascom platform

http://ftp.net-snmp.com/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/EQASCOM_V127l_Setup.exe
download and install eqascom  (i tried leaving out the eqascom driver but it doesnt work without it.)

http://sourceforge.net/projects/driverazgoto/files/
download and install DriverAzGotoByArmazemDoTelescopioSetup

http://www.welshdragoncomputing.ca/d/dgtocc/st/Setup_StellariumScopeWD_20141109.exe
download and install stellariumscope

assuming stellarium is already installed (if not it needs to be)
open stellarium press F2 and select plugins tab
select telescope control from left hand list and check the load at startup option.
close stellarium

run stellariumscope
click select mount at top left
ascom telescope chooser appears
select driver az goto por amazem do telescopio
click properties.. button
porta COM - select the com port windows assigned to the bluetooth module
elevaco(m) - height of your location above sea level
latitude and longitude of your location
alinhamento - northern hemisphere (norte) or southern (sul)
click ok buttons to get back to the main stellariumscope screen

make sure the scope is powered on and the bluetooth module plugged in and flashing
click the connect check box at the top of the stellariumscope screen
you should get a notification that a device is trying to connect and click on this message to allow it.

a dialog then comes up for the pairing code 1234 works for mine
if its the wrong code an error message appears and the connect check box unticks itself - try 0000

if successful a message box appears listing the device now connected - should be HC-06

close the dialog. the connect check box on the stellariumscope screen should now be ticked.

scope connected message should appear at the bottom of the stellariumscope screen

click update stellarium button on stellariumscope screen

click yes to the next three dialogs that come up.

click start stellarium button on stellariumscope screen.

if everythings ok you should see a yellowish reticle labelled scope appear in the sky.

depending on which way your scope is pointing this could be anywhere.

make sure the scope is pointing upwards and zoom the screen out if you cant see it

select the scope icon in stellarium and a "slew telescope to" dialog appears.

click the configure telescopes... button and check all three are connected if it doesnt appear.

the scope needs to be levelled, aligned north-south and latituded before doing any of the following

if SYNC is selected in the drop down box:
pressing the slew button aligns the screen reticle to where the telescope is pointed.

if SCOPE is selected in the drop down box:
select a star,planet or other and click the current object button on the dialog
the ra and dec coordinates should update to reflect this.

click the slew button and the telescope moves to where the object is and then continues tracking it.

if you manually move the scope the reticle moves across the screen in sync so you can get near to an object and then fine tune with the slew button.

one thing ive noticed: if the telescope reticle is to the left of an object you wish to track,

pressing the slew button causes it to rotate 360 degrees rather than just move to the right. i manually move the telescope to the right of an object and then slew to it.

cartes du ciel - select ascom driver, connect button and tracking button
c2a - connect to telescope etc

due to the weather, new scope, i havent had the chance to try this outside.

(phase 2 of this project involves dlsr controller)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1