Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the next best alterantive to the Helios Apollo 15x70

Steve72

I have been searching for the Helios Apollo 15x70 bins, but unfortunately they seem impossible to find in the UK. Most suppliers are saying availability will not be until June/July at the earliest. Can someone recommend a good alternative of similar quality for around the same price?

Would the Helios Quantum-4 15x70 be a huge step down in quality, which I may come to  regret?

Would I notice much of a difference between the Apollo 15x70 and the 10.5x70, which is currently available?

Or should I simply wait three months ( a real test of patience)  for the Apollo 15x70's?

Advice needed!

Steve.

Thanks for the link John. I'll fired off an email to see if its in stock. I've already tried Teleskop Service (Germany, I think) and they are also out of stock until May/June. It  strange that these binoculars are so frequently out of stock and from reading through this forum it seems to have been an ongoing problem for several years.

This could be a real test of patience! My eyes are twitching towards the Apollo 10.5x70's.

Thanks for the link John. I'll fired off an email to see if its in stock. I've already tried Teleskop Service (Germany, I think) and they are also out of stock until May/June. It  strange that these binoculars are so frequently out of stock and from reading through this forum it seems to have been an ongoing problem for several years.

This could be a real test of patience! My eyes are twitching towards the Apollo 10.5x70's.

Check your dark-adapted pupil diameter first; if less than 7mm, not worth getting the 10.5x70. Also, th e15x will show you more in most situations (IMHO, of course).

or these - I had a pair, fantastic views. Supposedly ED glass

http://www.365astronomy.com/Delta-Optical-Extreme-15x70-ED-Waterproof-Binocular.html

Had a brief play with GazK's one last Friday, comparing it to my HA. The sky conditions were vile, which is why I've not bothered posting a comparison (I think lots want to know!) but, in a turbid, turbulent sky with lots of LP around, I couldn't tell any difference at the centre of the FoV, but the Delta Extreme was definitely sharper right at the edge. Because it was so brief and unsatisfactory, I think the best that can be concluded is that the DE I tried is certainly as good as, and possibly better than, the HA I own. (Caveat: there is enormous variation within each model, so it is entirely possible that the perceived difference is within the error bars.)

Thanks Mark and Steve. I've checked that link.

The Delta Optical Extreme look very like the Helios Apollo's . Are they the same BA8 or is there a difference with the lenses (ED glass)?

• 2 weeks later...

The Delta Optical EX 15x70 are the same as the Helios Apollo 15x70. Both are made by Kunming United Optics (as part of their BA8 line).

For astronomy, 15x70 with its 5 mm exit pupil is better than 10.5x70. The latter has a 7 mm exit pupil and will render any light pollution quite brightly. 

Are you not happy with your Delta Optical EX

The Delta Optical EX 15x70 are the same as the Helios Apollo 15x70. Both are made by Kunming United Optics (as part of their BA8 line).

For astronomy, 15x70 with its 5 mm exit pupil is better than 10.5x70. The latter has a 7 mm exit pupil and will render any light pollution quite brightly. 

Are you not happy with your Delta Optical EX?

Very happy with my delta opticals Ruud. I didn't have them at the time I started this thread.

It's a pity that the Delta Optical Extremes and those Orion Resolux are more expensive than the Helios Apollos when FLO has them in stock. I'm tempted by the Orions, except what comeback would I have with Amazon if they arrive damaged?

Although I had no luck last year with two pairs from FLO, they were great in trying to resolve the problem. I just haven't had the spare cash since then as I went and bought a Heritage Flexitube 130P as a grab and go from FLO instead!

Mark

The new Lunt binoculars seem to be a strong competitor to the BA8 series and even to the Fujis, at a price somewhere between them both. Regrettably they are much worse value for money here in the UK than in America, but that's true of the Fujinons too.

http://www.apm-telescopes.de/de/fernglaeser/fernglaeser-90mm-oeffnung/lunt-engineering-16-x-70-magnesium-series-fernglas.html

If I didn't already own a Fuji 16x70 (which I could only afford because I found a good price 2nd-hand) I'd think seriously about picking the new Lunt instead - reviews thus far are very promising (http://www.cloudynights.com/topic/490395-lunt-vs-fuji-16x70my-review/)... I just might try to find a way around the dodgy UK/EU vs US price hike.

• 10 months later...

Archived