Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Modified case for your SCT 4"

cadcygnus

I left my silver case back in Wisconsin when I had to travel for work in the West.  I always wanted to make a new one and came up with this. 

This is a store bought case from Hobby Lobby.  I chose this style because it looked cool.  They are about $29.00.  It is kind of cheaply made but sufficient for what I planned to do.  Purchased some sticky felt in green and black from the same store.  Bought a wire burner to cut foam, and some styrene beaded foam all from Hobby Lobby.  All in all it cost about,  $50.00 bucks. 

Take the scope out and place it in the case.  Using your imagination try to imagine how you want your scope to lay.  I chose to keep the 8x50 custom made finder scope on the scope when it was put away.  I also chose to keep the diagonal on it as well when it is stored.  I never did like the stock finder scope and changed that right away on the scope when I bought it. 

Now take your foam and imagine this holding it in place to secure the scope.  Don't forget to remember the lid when it closes.  Now that you have a good idea of how to secure it.  Use your hot knife foam cutter and burn away the parts you don't want to use.  In sculpturing it is a good thought to think this way.  "When a carver was asked how does he carve such a beautiful horse out of wood, he remarked I take away anything that is NOT the horse and I am left with a beautiful statue of a Horse."  Use this same thought when carving your foam.  Try to use shapes that are primary's.  Like the cube, triangle, cone, sphere, etc.

After you have your foam carved out.  Take some low heat hot melt glue and glue the pieces together.  Do not glue it in the case yet.  Again test fit your scope with the new pieces inside your box.

Once you are happy with your results.  Use the sticky felt to make it pretty and neat.  Attach pieces in the same shapes that your foam is made out of.  The edges fold down well on the edges when you apply this and press it in.  Refit your scope with the pieces in.  Once you are happy with how well it is secured, glue the pieces in with the low temp glue. 

Go to your hardware store and purchase some brass hinges, handles, and bolts and nuts.  Use the bolts and nuts through the thin wood of the store bought case.  Do not use the supplied screws, they will come out as you carry it and you will drop your box.  It is very important to secure your handles and lid locks.  Now you can show off on your next star party your new and improved case for your scope. It will be unique because you made it.

Please like and share. 

DSC_0558_zps6y4aaxzq.jpg

Archived