Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter... is that you?

Yesterday, my oldest daughter Pferris and I made an effort to view a very bright star. Unfortunately the night was playing hide and seek with the rest if the sky, but we could see this one. So we took our chance. Wallace and Grommit, our 8" Newt and dob, came out.

After a bit of searching for it we found it. The 25mm 2" EP showed a tiny star. We changed to the 7mm X-Cel and after a bit of fussing Pferris found it. She says the star became a tiny bright disc. Its my understanding only planets look like discs. We think its Jupiter. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm a newbie who needs education.

Due to the 22 below zero, not including the chill facter, ee viewed through the window. Not the best I'm told, but it had to do for now.

Today Pferris and I re-set the collimation and view finder. We are now waiting for "that star" to come about at night fall.

This is indeed a very entertaining hobby. Delicious even. Eye candy evety where.

Sorry to say but that sounds like you found a star, if it was Jupiter you would have seen

the bands and moons, Jupiter is unmistakable, especially through your 7mm eyepiece,

make sure you have aligned your finder scope, you should see the moons through that,

align your finder in daylight on an object, make sure it's at least a mile or so away, a

pylon or something like that. Jupiter will be the brightest object you can see, hope you get

to observe it, fingers crossed for a clear night soon, don't forget to post when you do.

Good luck and clear sky's, If you have a compass Jupiter will be towards the south east.

I figure you may be correct. Although the star looks like a small disc we could not make out any detail.

We did set the finder scope during the day. Question: it is an 8x50 raci and if I rotate the eye piece left/right does this alter the setting? It don't seem like it but I have to ask. We will adjust it again tomorrow.

Disapointing, but we are learning how to use the telescope anyway.

By the way. This star was indeed the brightest up their, looking west at 9:30-10:00 pm Alaska time.

Thanks, I do appreciate it. (Time to download Starellium or whatever its called? Yes, the procrastination is over.)

Jupiter would be have been in the South West at that time.

The other one is Venus but I would have though that Venus would have dipped below the horizon by then. But it is bright and would have given a sort of size. Very small but not quite a point.

Lower in the West at that time was Sirius, Capella and Procyon. All nice bright stars that would stand out.

Thanks everyone. I had thought, once declared a star by you all, it might be Sirius. Its said to be the brightest star. Brighter than Jupiter I heard (?). Which is why I thought it was Jupiter. Wrong direction, eh?

I just spoke to my younger daughter a bit ago and she has a new laptop computer on order, of which we will download Stellarium on it. We also will try out the eye piece vid cam with it as well. It will be but a short wait.

Until then, "Jupiter, where are you, buster?"

Its a pity I didnt have my telescope last night whilst away at work? I was reversed onto the sea wall / pier for nearly three hours!

Venus was so bright, it clearly cast a shadow over the sea, as it slowly headed for the horizon to my West. Jupiter appeared next in brightness. Sirius appeared to be insignificant in comparison ( use Orions belt as your pointer to Sirius, Sirius is down and left)The Milky Way was overhead sprawling away to the North, a vast ammount of satelites passed over head, and only my 8x40s for company.

I also found that looking at the Stars with my glasses on last night gave sharper images, and using averted vision, further improvement, yet I dont usually wear the glasses with any of my optics, perhaps I should, yet it doesnt feel comfortable.

From darker skies, things really do stand out, M31 looking good, and with my 8x40s having a view that encompasses Orions three starred belt and the nebula below, it gives a better perspective when viewing.

I really wanted to see M81 in Ursa Major, but I could just not find it with the 8x40s.

Jupiter gave me two of its Moons, but my eyes were watering in that direction due to the cold breeze.

I still have the the opportunity to visit an even darker site, and I hope to do this soonest, before I lose the darker nights, as the Summer draws in, and my scope goes back into hibernation?

When you see Jupiter next time, remember to keep looking! The more you look and stare, the more you will see. Sometimes there is a short moment when the seeing condition is perfect, and your left with an image youll never forget.

BTW we're pushing on 24 hour sunshine by the next several months. Everything will disapear, except the moon. Our nights are shortening up now. Still cold, easily 25-30 below. We do what we got to do to view the stars when given a chance..

BTW we're pushing on 24 hour sunshine by the next several months. Everything will disapear, except the moon. Our nights are shortening up now. Still cold, easily 25-30 below. We do what we got to do to view the stars when given a chance..

Get a solar filter, and do some lunar viewing :grin: Why wait for months for your next fix!

Archived