Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starsense Problems- Camera Could Not be Readied

Hello All, I am coming to you with my first post and a problem with a Celestron Starsense unit I got a couple months back that I have not been successful in getting working. I was wondering if there is anyone here who has one and has seen the following error before:

"Err Camera Statu - the camera could not be readied for use and may require a reset. Cycle the power to telescope to attempt to recover."

As you may have guessed I have cycled the power more then a few times but still get the same error. There is no science in installing the Starsense but regardless I have double check to make sure I did it right (and have), but still get the same error. 

I have not contacted customer care at this time because I figured I might find the answer here first. It might be worth noting that a few different Google searches turned up nothing as well, which is unusual. 

• 1 month later...

Hello again, I just wanted to circle back on this topic to tell you what happened in case for whatever reason someone down the road has the same thing happen to them with their Starsense. Bottom line, you need to send it back to the manufacturer because the unit is defective. 

Since I am at it, i have to give kudos to Celestron, who I have read sometimes has a bad rep for customer service. I have to say my experience with them was top notch. The first message I sent, they got back to me in 24 hours, I sent some pics along next, the guy determined it was defective, he set up the courier return service, and in just over 2 weeks I had a new working unit. You really cant complain at all with that level of service. 

Sorry to drag this way off topic but I have read that "amateur" Toronto Astronomers have been given a whole great big observatory of their own.

Do you get along to that group ?

Believe it is the David Dunlap Obs and they now have a small 1.9 meter scope to look through.

I wish I could remember the situation fully, but I think it goes something like this: The developer Metrus (now DG Group) bought the 190 +- acres from U of T (under the company name Corsica) back in 08 (ish) for about $80 million CAD. The land was donated to U of T by the Dunlap family way back in the 30s it think. Metrus, at some point after the purchase, donated the facility to the Royal Astronomical Society. A large portion of the site will be developed as residential subdivision (which is happening as we speak) but the campus and all of its facilities (about 100 acres in size) are considered a historical site and are effectively preserved. I live in the neighborhood across from the DDO interestingly enough, and had never really even seen the observatory until it was sold. U of T pretty much kept it on lock down, and it seems like the ownership change has actually for the first time made the site accessible to the public.

The observatory and it's buildings are pretty cool inside. 4 or 5 years ago I was invited to see the facility and look through the scope. Maybe that experience let to my faciniation today (albeit beginner).  

Looks like they have a website up now too http://www.theddo.ca/

And just to add to the above, I am not sure what is considered big or small as far as observatories go but the scope in the main dome has a mirror that is 1.9m around, not long. Its pretty massive. 

Archived