SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

March 20th solar eclipse!

We have airborne H2O in abundance on the IOW.

The beeb have been saying for a few days that the Midlands, South Wales and West Country are the likeliest

places for clear skies this morning.

The graphic shows the clouds moving away south to clear the IOW at around 4th Contact - That would be

about right.

Mick

Set up in garden, with wight-light, H-alpha, sun-shades and depression tablets on standby.

Nothing at all here.

Brother in law showed his class the event in Lancashire with shades I bought him so I feel I have "ownership"

of part of the event.

Not enough to stop me bursting into tears but still...... A bacon filled cheesy bap should get me over this.

Mick

Thank's Paul mc c for sharing that great image of the smiling sun, while I was observing I

thought to myself I wish I had an image of that, It made my smile as big as that, something

I won't forget in a long time, thank's again for sharing. Clear Sky's.

• 2 weeks later...

New member so only just found this thread...

We were on a cruise ship (MS Boudicca) sailing near the Faroe Isles on the centre line of totality near the point of greatest eclipse. We had Paul Abel, Pete Lawrence and John Culshaw on board and they liased with the captain to get us to the point most likely to be clear.

It was raining over the Faroes but they somehow managed to get us to a clear part of the sky to see most of 1st to 2nd contact and ALL of totality!!! Well done to everyone.

Quite an amazing experience on the ship although it made photography challenging as the sea was quite bumpy.

Still, got quite a few reasonable shots.

I spent so much time looking up that I didn't stop down enough to get any good shots of the chromosphere but got some nice ones of the corona.

It is so spooky when it goes dark.

Next one for me is 2017 in the USA... hopefully :smiley:

New member so only just found this thread...

We were on a cruise ship (MS Boudicca) sailing near the Faroe Isles on the centre line of totality near the point of greatest eclipse. We had Paul Abel, Pete Lawrence and John Culshaw on board and they liased with the captain to get us to the point most likely to be clear.

It was raining over the Faroes but they somehow managed to get us to a clear part of the sky to see most of 1st to 2nd contact and ALL of totality!!! Well done to everyone.

Quite an amazing experience on the ship although it made photography challenging as the sea was quite bumpy.

Still, got quite a few reasonable shots.

I spent so much time looking up that I didn't stop down enough to get any good shots of the chromosphere but got some nice ones of the corona.

It is so spooky when it goes dark.

Next one for me is 2017 in the USA... hopefully :smiley:

I read Paul Abel's account of this, it must have been amazing. I understand that Pete Lawrence played a big part in directing the ship to be at the best place.

Archived