Narrowband

NEQ6 GoTo queries.

Telescope40

Hello all. My NEQ6  pro is playing around with me.  Third session now where I am finding the GoTo to be off somewhat.  The scope no longer seems to ask me to set it to " Home position" before i go to alignment mode. 

Usually use 2 Star alignment. My Backyard has a very poor eastern view.

All my inputs seem ok and alignment successful everytime.  I use a 12mm crosshair EP to centre my stars.

HOWEVER -  When using goto east of the meridian ( due south ) the accuracy is more than acceptable. A little off but I can cope  LOL   BUT  the more "west" I go, the more the  goto deteriorates.

My powertank was totally charged for tonites session.

Thinking maybe my location co ordinates in the handset may be a little out.  If I quote my postcode as SK15 2LT  could someone be so kind as to clarify what home location co ordinates I need in the hand set.   Currently use 002.02W  53.28 N  Guessing if this is incorrect it cannot be helping the mount.

Does a 3 star alignment really "nail" the accuracy better than a  2 star Align set up.    All in all I'm a bit baffled and naffed off.  It has been a fab mount for a couple of years now.

Thanks in advance as always

John

How off is it when you go west?

A three star alignment will help if you have cone error. Have you triedd doing a three star alignment?

Before you start the star alignment, just roughly plonk your scope in the home position.

James

Your coordinates look correct. Just make sure you've put them in the right format in the right section. Being off by a degree or so shouldn't make a difference in how good your goto is if you so the starr alugnment correctly.

• 3 weeks later...

I am a novice and am thinking of getting a suitable GoTo telescope. can I ask a possibly stupid question - do Go To telescopes need to be aligned each time you use them? I intend doing all or most of my stargazing from the patio and would prefer not to have to set the telescope up (even if it takes only a few minutes) every night I want to view the stars! Thanks Peter

Peter, if you leave your telescope set up outside all the time (a security risk), and use the "park" function, you could get away with not doing a polar alignment or star alignment each night. If you take the kit indoors, depending on how well you mark the position on the patio and how much to alter anything, you might be able to get away without doing a polar alignment every night, but you would need to do a star alignment (it takes 30-60 seconds to do).

James

I use to put up and take down my NEQ6 ever session, i did mark the spot the tripod legs went with a drill and masonry bit, so it went back in the same place, i would then point the scope northwards and slew to a bright star, when it stopped slewing undo the clutches and moved the scope to the star, so it ended up where it thought it was, the GoTo then worked fine only done the polar alignment once when it was first set-up....This method is only any good for viewing taking images is not advised....

Very helpful replies to my query - thank you very much.  Given the relatively low number of clear night skies I get here in Cardiff I reckon I won't be re-aligning my Go To scope (when I get one) every night anyway!

Archived