SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

registax makes raw images red?

jnb

I was playing with a few images in registax recently and discovering that I don't understand what it's doing.

I have a few images of Jupiter, really very poor images but I'm only just starting this and they're sufficient to let me play with registax and other processing options. The images are available as .cr2 or .jpg from my camera.

If I view the .cr2 images on windows they are OK

If I view the .jpg images on windows they are OK

If I process the .jpg images in registax they are OK
If I process the .cr2 images in registax they become red
I've tried the same thing in deep sky stacker with the .cr2 files and the colours are preserved so what might I be doing wrong in registax?
original image (converted to jpg)
post-26321-0-82640400-1425675352.jpg
Image from deepsky stacker
Image from registax
post-26321-0-97634400-1425674973.jpg
This is using registax 5
Please ignore focus, resolution, exposure, etc I know I've got all those wrong and can account for those. It's registax that I don't understand at the moment

Registax is not reading your RAW image correctly.  Which version of Registax are you using and which camera and capture software?  We may be able to guide you through the maze!!  :grin:

Edit: Oops!  just seen it is Regi5!!! :p

and I just tried registax 6 and it claims to not even no what a .cr2 file is. I could use the jpg versions but it just seems inherently wrong and while I have use DSS for star field images in the past that doesn't seem to handle planetary images well

That's interesting. Because I have used v5 in the past (never understood what I was doing but I have used it) and it always happily opened the raw files albeit those were raw files from my wife's camera not my canon 500d.

Archived