Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

disappointed

rowan46

I have been back to research. (One of these days I will do all the research  first instead of finding it when problem solving)  My scope has a minimum  back focus of 138mm, the baader has a minimum of 138mm. I am getting a clean circle on all my eyepieces but no detail  I may have seen a spot on my delos but nothing showed on my maxvision or pentax

I have loads of spare travel of my ES 80 F6 and my 1.25" wedge, but need a 2x Barlow to push the focal point out with my DSLR. 2" doesn't solve every problem.

I'm not sure exactly what the source of your issue is, but 80/F6 makes no representation as to the length of the OTA, or relative extension of the focuser - Merely the focal point of the scope. If I had bought the Alu Essential version of my scope with the same optics, but shorter OTA and massive focuser tube, I'd imagine I could even get a binoviewer to come to focus without a Barlow as it has much more inward travel. Indeed, they supply extension tubes for the focuser for precisely the opposite reason.

Russell

Be aware that there have been no spots to speak of on show for some time now , at 480mm focal length you will be looking at a pretty small disc and would need a decent sized spot to observe.

You could well be in focus but not realise it.

Try again this morning as there's a decent spot just appeared on the limb.

The Baader's long light path can cause issues. My Lunt 1.25 inch wedge is tiny in comparison!

12859470993_d663539237_z.jpg

To image at prime focus with my Equinox 120 I have to use an adapter. It's a bit of a pain really because guess what happens when I want to use a Barlow? I have to take the adapter off and put the clicklock back on. So unscrew the camera from the adapater and put the camera's regular C-mount adapter back on. Unscrew the adapter from the Herschel wedge. Unscrew the ND filter and Solar Continuum filter as a pair from the adapter. Screw the filter pair onto the filter cage. Screw the filter cage into the clickclick. Screw the clicklock back on.

Now suppose I want to do visual. Unscrew the clicklock, unscrew the filter cage inside, unscrew the photographic ND filter and Solar Continuum filter pair from the cage, unscrew the ND filter from the Solar Continuum, screw in the visual ND filter onto the Solar Continuum. Screw those two filters back into the filter thread cage, screw the cage back into the clicklock, screw the clicklock back in. Swapsy fun and games! :grin:

12873685085_1395c4795e_c.jpg

If you are seeing a fully focussed white disc with a sharp limb then I believe you have achieved focus, as previously voiced it may be that there were no spots when you were viewing :laugh: 

I am seeing a  green disc edges are fairly sharp but there is no detail no spots no granulation just a green disc it seems if I could just wind the focusser in a couple of mm it would be there. it really does appear to be nearly in focus and this is with all my eyepieces,

Sorry Rowan46 I totally misread your post. I thought you were having problems getting an SLR to focus :icon_redface:. When it comes to eyepieces (as long as your scope has a 2" focuser) you could try one of these http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/scopeteknix/accessories/low-profile/eyepiece-adaptor.html (they come up on astroboot from time to time) to get the couple mm you need. This is what I use and have not had a problem getting eyepieces to focus. Just permanently fix it to the wedge and use it as you would a 2" diagonal.

Archived