Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Best stacking software...?

danccat

I'll be using Photoshop to edit my image but need good software to stack them prior to this... these will range from planetary to DSOs.

Really wanting something good here guys, so recommend away!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are many and Pixinsight is a sophisticated one.

Personally I use AstroArt 5. I like it because it is logical (to non-geniuses), fast, well laid-out, well furnished with uselful filters (hot pixel, column and line repair) and has lots of options which you can try easily because it is so fast. You have the option of using a bias and bad pixel map instead of a master dark. This is great because one set of calibration files will handle different sub lengths perfectly happily and saves more time.

Alas, I don't get on with DSS. 

Olly

okay.. ahem... anything cheaper? :D

for now while you get your head around things, why not use the freeware like DSS for deep space stacking, and registax or ASI2 for planetary stacking, yes i know they have there cons, but there free and very good for you to learn :)

>edit....DOH! got beat to it lol ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I'll be using Photoshop to edit my image but need good software to stack them prior to this... these will range from planetary to DSOs.

Really wanting something good here guys, so recommend away!

Try the DSS it is free. Once you have learnt what to do start thinking about more sophisticated stuff.

A.G

DSS is free and generally capable but it isn't bullet-proof and there are plenty of threads on here with users having problems with it - it won't de-Bayer my SXVF-M25C one shot colour images for example but I have found it very good for stacking pre de-Bayered data and mono data. However, I just love the way MaxIm DL pulls everything together, calibration frames, data frames, bad pixel maps and automatic filter sorting but it is a steep leaning curve and more expensive that AstroArt which is also very capable.

okay.. ahem... anything cheaper? :D

You say that you are planning to use Photoshop, that is £650 to buy outright, or £102/year on the cheapest subscription. PixInsight is £200 outright and has major upgrades That requires spending money) less than every couple of years, so it is cheaper than Ps over even just 2 years.

For planetary Registax, for deep sky registar..

Registar is a wonder programe but is not a stacking programe because it doesn't handle calibration. A stacking programme needs to subtract darks, divide by flats and do a large number of other things not possible in Registar (though I'm its biggest fan and couldn't live without it.)

Honestly, Astro Art is fab. Nearly every time I demo it on my courses folks just say, 'I'm having that. It's too good,'  and they buy it. (I'm not on commission, by the way!!!  :grin: More's the pity.)

Olly

Registar is a wonder programe but is not a stacking programe because it doesn't handle calibration. A stacking programme needs to subtract darks, divide by flats and do a large number of other things not possible in Registar (though I'm its biggest fan and couldn't live without it.)

Honestly, Astro Art is fab. Nearly every time I demo it on my courses folks just say, 'I'm having that. It's too good,'  and they buy it. (I'm not on commission, by the way!!!  :grin: More's the pity.)

Olly

I have had a go with the demo version a couple of times and compared to PI and Maxim DL it is a very straight forward and fast stacking program. It is not too bad a photometric software either. The only confusing thing ( I am a self certified idiot BTW ) is the facility to add Dark Flats but Bias has to be input by some obscure procedure as I remember. Some of the filters are quite good too for processing but it is nowhere as flexible as PI nor as confusing.

A.G

It depends what you need. I'm a complete beginner and I use modded webcam, sharpcap for capture. As for stacking - I use both Autostakker2 and Registax. Both free. As I don't have motors I use PIPP and Virtual Dub to center planets, edit and convert to the formats suitable for stacking. Both, again, free. It took me some time to work out the settings to get it going but I found the answers to my problems on this very forum. Of course there's more lazy user friendly solutions available, at a price. But not everyone is a rich man and that's ok :)

I have had a go with the demo version a couple of times and compared to PI and Maxim DL it is a very straight forward and fast stacking program. It is not too bad a photometric software either. The only confusing thing ( I am a self certified idiot BTW ) is the facility to add Dark Flats but Bias has to be input by some obscure procedure as I remember. Some of the filters are quite good too for processing but it is nowhere as flexible as PI nor as confusing.

A.G

In AA5 bias don't feature amongst the boxes to fill but that doesn't bother me. Why would I use them? (Well, I do use them, in fact. I put a master bias in the 'darks for flats' box because a bias is fine in that role. I also put a master bias in the 'darks for images' box when also using a bad pixel map which has a box of its own. I find this both easier and more successful than using normal darks.)

Olly

The great part about Pixinsinsight is that it can do pretty much everything so for the cost it's good value.

There's also loads of tutorials available for it so learning the basics and getting good images without too much work is easy (as long as you got good quality data to feed it)

• 3 weeks later...

In AA5 bias don't feature amongst the boxes to fill but that doesn't bother me. Why would I use them? (Well, I do use them, in fact. I put a master bias in the 'darks for flats' box because a bias is fine in that role. I also put a master bias in the 'darks for images' box when also using a bad pixel map which has a box of its own. I find this both easier and more successful than using normal darks.)

Olly

Olly, is AstroArt good at stacking sub batches that are at different orientation (90 degrees out!)? I so need September to come round fast!!

I use DSS for deep sky. It easily and automatically handles de-rotation, unlike Nebulosity that requires manual input.

I did try Astro Art as a trial, but threw it away in disgust when it wouldn't allow navigation to a NAS, only to discs physically in the PC. I keep meaning to give it another go.

Nebulosity works well, but is far to much faff. Having to manually loading the output of the previous step into the input of the next step is just silly and a waste of time. For the life of me I cannot work out why Craig Stark didn't automate that.

Autostakkert for planetary. Anyone still persisting with Registax must be a masochist. AS!2 is way faster, much easier to use, uses more sophisticated algorithms for stacking colour data and produces better results. Registax or Astra Image for wavelet sharpening or deconvolution, depending on the subject.

I use DSS for deep sky. It easily and automatically handles de-rotation, unlike Nebulosity that requires manual input.

I did try Astro Art as a trial, but threw it away in disgust when it wouldn't allow navigation to a NAS, only to discs physically in the PC. I keep meaning to give it another go.

Nebulosity works well, but is far to much faff. Having to manually loading the output of the previous step into the input of the next step is just silly and a waste of time. For the life of me I cannot work out why Craig Stark didn't automate that.

Autostakkert for planetary. Anyone still persisting with Registax must be a masochist. AS!2 is way faster, much easier to use, uses more sophisticated algorithms for stacking colour data and produces better results. Registax or Astra Image for wavelet sharpening or deconvolution, depending on the subject.

Thanks I will try DSS as I have it - do i load all files up in same batch and it will derotate for me or should i do separate?

It handles de-rotation automatically by using the stars to register each picture to the other.

Just tried it and although it stacks them well  (and rotates) i am left with a strange pixellation/square matrix type thing across the image?!

Archived