Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

CGEM Handset Display Issue!

Stargazer33

I'm after a bit of advice about my CGEM mount handset. A couple of nights ago I did a bit of imaging; the first time I have been out since before Christmas. Anyway, when I powered up the mount from my power distribution box the bottom line of the handset display, that scrolls, was very hard to read. It looked like the information was being repeated once or twice a few characters behind the initial display. This made all but the first word or two unreadable.

I wondered if there was something wrong with my power supply and that it was under volts but I bought it to work with me today and the mount power socket is giving 12.59 volts DC and the power lead is also good with no shorts and is giving 12.59 volts measured at the mount end of that. The handset and mount both have the latest firmware installed.

Has anyone had similar issues or does anyone know what might be causing this and how I go about correcting it. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

I haven't had that problem but with mine in scotland last year the moisture got into it and when i fired it up it either wouldn't work or thought it was a different mount, in the end it spend the night in the van wraped in a blanket and once it dried out all was good.

Was it a particulally humid night? bring it in and leave it somewhere that it can dry out. Other then that it sounds like the LCD might be damaged.

Thanks Alan. I will give it a go indoors tomorrow and see if it is any better. I suppose it was quite a humid night and the scope had been out for about 3 - 4 hours cooling down whilst I was doing other things indoors. The display on this handset has never been as good as the one on my old CG-5 AT - might be why the previous owner sold it. It also doesn't remember the slew rate after you slew to a new target, which can be a pain if you forget to reset it.

Powered up the mount today in the dining room and the display was back to normal; not perfect but was working as good as it has before. I might put my spare anti-dew heater tape around it in future just to keep the handset from suffering moisture ingress. Another thought is that I might take it to work and spray the board with conformal coating to help it resist the damp better. :icon_scratch:

I'm after a bit of advice about my CGEM mount handset. A couple of nights ago I did a bit of imaging; the first time I have been out since before Christmas. Anyway, when I powered up the mount from my power distribution box the bottom line of the handset display, that scrolls, was very hard to read. It looked like the information was being repeated once or twice a few characters behind the initial display. This made all but the first word or two unreadable.

I wondered if there was something wrong with my power supply and that it was under volts but I bought it to work with me today and the mount power socket is giving 12.59 volts DC and the power lead is also good with no shorts and is giving 12.59 volts measured at the mount end of that. The handset and mount both have the latest firmware installed.

Has anyone had similar issues or does anyone know what might be causing this and how I go about correcting it. Any help will be gratefully appreciated.

Possibly your voltage is low (no matter what Celestron claim is required!).  Strangely the display doesn't like 12v in the COLD ... but perfect when fed from a leisure battery at whatever that is ... 13.6V?  I was using a Corsair fancy 750W PSU which should be rock solid at 12v +/- not a lot when I had a similar issue.

Archived