Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

March 6, 2015: Proper first light of BF15/SM-II 60 combination; FIREWORKS!!

To cut to the chase: I have NEVER had a better view of the sun in H-alpha. That is not just the filter performing very nicely indeed, but the sun is putting on an amazing show in H-alpha at the moment. There are many proms all around the disk, and many filaments and plage areas, but the show is stolen by a huge set of loops northwards on the eastern limb (pointed out this morning by nytecam here: http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/238456-fine-active-looped-prom-east-limb-now/). Absolutely fantastic. Loads of fine structure visible, and the image was bright and steady enough to zoom in to 7.5mm on the WO Zoom EP (53.3x). I even had a go with the SLV5mm which gave some nice detail during steady patches of seeing at 80x. I think a 6mm would be even better.

It looks stunning - been enjoying a blow-out Quark-fest during the last hour or so.

Some amazing proms, very beautiful, very active.

Gaping in awe and wonder...

And still some time before sunset!

Cheers all

Simon

Nice report as ever and well done getting a piece of the action, Michael :laugh:

It struck me that the disc is almost blank of spots, yet all these proms... :laugh: I was thinking it might be a quiet day. Just shows, you never know with the sun.

Archived