SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Turn Left At Orion

Just lent my copy to a mate coming back into astronomy who had heard about it but hadn't seen one. Anyone want to bet he'll be on Amazon ordering it before the weeks out ?

I bet you'll never see yours again and you will be on Amazon by the end of the week ordering it.

I just purchased TLAO, excellent resource for someone new to the skies. The inside cover says 2011 edition, but also includes 2012 reprint with corrections, and a further reprint in 2014. So it is the most recent i suspect.

Cheers

Once you have a few months observing under your belt, I think a copy of "Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders" is worth adding to your book shelf. Everything you might want to observe, covered in each Constellation with diagrams finder charts and photographs :)

second glowjet on the Astro Wonders book  I much prefer it to Turn Left - every constellation has a section and it has really helped me find my way and find great stuff - TLAO was a worthy library book borrow, but I quickly wanted to learn more

Got a Cambridge Star Atlas too - mostly so I could laminate the charts and scribble/plan on them on cloudy nights 

Third rec for Astronomical Wonders - an excellent and comprehensive book. I use that and TLAO equally. Both are very user-friendly and good companions. Going to the Atlas side of things, my current love is Instellarum for the biggie, S&T Pocket Sky Atlas for the smallie... and I've been looking at a couple of online atlases for the phone but the exact names escape me! One was Deep Sky Atlas and there was another.

Archived