Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Ladder for large Dobsonian

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

I use a little giant as seen in my profile pic. It is very sturdy, extendable (also asymmetrical if you wish to get nice and close to the eyepiece) and you can buy platforms to stand/sit on to reduce the fatigue of the rungs on the soles of your feet. The top platform I use to put my tablet etc.

Regards

Dannae

I am surprised that so many have posted on this thread that they actually use a step for their dobs. i appreciate that the f/ ratio has a big part to play but I did not think that there were many with 16 inch scopes or larger that were over f/6.

Sorry, going off topic.

Ian

I am surprised that so many have posted on this thread that they actually use a step for their dobs. i appreciate that the f/ ratio has a big part to play but I did not think that there were many with 16 inch scopes or larger that were over f/6.

Sorry, going off topic.

Ian

Does depend how tall you are. Anyone over 6ft who is good on tiptoes won't need a ladder for a 16 inch, f/4.4 dob. The actual height of the extended and mounted OTA at Zenith is well over 6ft.

For larger scopes, you have to feel secure on the ladder, as the scope will not help you if you lose your balance!  :D No rickety grandad's woodwormed decorating ladder from 1956 will help here.

Go for it... I had the option of a 12" f3 mirror..... Turned it down :-((( Would have made a nice "sneaky" dob. if anyone is thinking of grinding a crazy mirror if be interested.... Not after perfection, a "practice" quality one would be fine.

I guess scope speed is the disease you still have after you have quietened aperure fever?

Cheers

PeterW

Archived