Narrowband

Using NexRemote

I have a Celestron NexStar 8SE and recently tried using the NexRemote software on my laptop, however I seem to have hit a brick wall. Obviously it is virtually impossible to do a 3-star align using NexRemote, unless you have an assistant, and then I imagine it would be extremely difficult (left a bit, up a bit ...)!

So it's necessary to use the hand controller on the telescope to do the alignment. Once done, it is brick wall time. If I then connect the cable and fire up NexRemote, it's as though I had just switched on and alignment is lost. If I start with NexRemote running and connected, the hand controller is disabled.

Does anyone have a solution to this dilemma?

I take it youre not using a laptop or tablet and have a desktop or something so how about a Webcam finderscope? I use a tablet so I use my raci whilst outside with camera in my celestron 127 slt mak, then once focused and aligned with nexremote move inside with tablet and cable and start imaging.

Hi - thanks for your comment. Yes I do have a laptop but the problem would be to centre the star in the finder and/or eyepiece while continually going back and forth to the laptop to click on buttons to move the telescope. It's a lot easier using the physical buttons on the hand control while peering into the eyepiece (glad I didn't miss the 'r' there!).

Actually, I discovered I was mistaken in my first post - as long as I start the alignment process from NexRemote on the laptop after connecting to the telescope, the physical direction buttons on the hand control are still active, so can be used while centring. The only caveat (which I read in the instructions somewhere), is that only the direction buttons on the hand control can be used - press any other button and you have to start all over again.

Having said all that, I have now decided to get a WiFi dongle, so we'll see how that works out!

Archived