Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

my 1st photo m42

Prompts me to login to dropbox the 2nd time I tried, I hit 'no thanks, continue to download' and it downloaded to my desktop, 100meg .tif file,

I'm a total scrub but I'll say this looks fantastic. Only thing 'wrong' I can see is the 'haze' that takes up the picture, but I have no idea why it's there. Good job! 

very good, well done - some nice detail and colour.

There's quite a heavy gradient on there - lighter to the left, darker to the right, which is probably a mix of the moon illuminating it and the telescope vignetting it.  Flats will help with vignetting, plenty of chatter about those on the forum, I don't know if you took any ?

There's quite a bit of coma showing, see how the stars all seem to be 'pointing' to a point just to the top left of M43 where the stars are much smaller ?  Might need an investment in a coma corrector at some point I'm afraid.

The core is slightly over-exposed, take care when stretching the brightness in post-processing, and a few subs with a shorter exposure time might help - M42 has a high dynamic range and can be difficult to get right.

Al that's meant to be constructive criticism and I hope is helpful, if not please ignore.  It's much better than my first attempt !

very good, well done - some nice detail and colour.

There's quite a heavy gradient on there - lighter to the left, darker to the right, which is probably a mix of the moon illuminating it and the telescope vignetting it. Flats will help with vignetting, plenty of chatter about those on the forum, I don't know if you took any ?

There's quite a bit of coma showing, see how the stars all seem to be 'pointing' to a point just to the top left of M43 where the stars are much smaller ? Might need an investment in a coma corrector at some point I'm afraid.

The core is slightly over-exposed, take care when stretching the brightness in post-processing, and a few subs with a shorter exposure time might help - M42 has a high dynamic range and can be difficult to get right.

Al that's meant to be constructive criticism and I hope is helpful, if not please ignore. It's much better than my first attempt !

Yeah that all helps,it was a bright full moon,I did take 20 flats but not sure if I done it right.do u think that is coma,I Tryed auto guide for the 1st time ever but don't know if it worked,the graph in phd2 was all over the place lol,thx for feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'd say the guiding worked, the stars near m43 are nicely small and round. My phd graph is usually all over the place too, nothing to worry about (most of the time)

Oh ok cheers,wasn't questioning u on the egg shape stars but I got a f6.3 reducer than is suppose to be a corrector as well which I've put straight on the back of my cpc 9.25 then the visual back and t adapter and t ring,dae7d9ca7da8b8fd49a0f576fc27c13a.jpg

i've not used a reducer on an SCT, but hopefully someone else will come along who can help.  Might be worth doing a couple of test shots, say 30 secs at a high ISO of a random star field, with and without the reducer, just to see what star shapes you get back ?

Great start! With a bit of jiggery-pokery in Photoshop, you can improve your image quite a bit, even improving the egg-shaped stars to a certain extent (using the 'offset' command, although as the direction of the distortion isn't uniform the result isn't perfect). Having nothing better to do, I had a quick play with your image. Obviously, having the raw original would give much better results, but here's my bash at enhancing it. I've cropped it to get rid of some of the gradients. Taking some shorter exposures will enable you to get more detail of the core.

Your original on the left, my edited version on the right.

16538941639_2bbc7560a3_b.jpg

Great start! With a bit of jiggery-pokery in Photoshop, you can improve your image quite a bit, even improving the egg-shaped stars to a certain extent (using the 'offset' command, although as the direction of the distortion isn't uniform the result isn't perfect). Having nothing better to do, I had a quick play with your image. Obviously, having the raw original would give much better results, but here's my bash at enhancing it. I've cropped it to get rid of some of the gradients. Taking some shorter exposures will enable you to get more detail of the core.

Your original on the left, my edited version on the right.

16538941639_2bbc7560a3_b.jpg

Nice,alittle know how goes along way lol,how u get the background darker while keeping all the detail

....how u get the background darker while keeping all the detail

Photoshop takes a bit of practice! To be honest I'm not sure of the correct terminology, as I sort of do it without thinking till I get it about right, but there were basically two stages:

1: GradientXterminator. This is a Photoshop add-on command which removes gradients.

2: Adjust the levels

Ta-daa. Sounds simple, but it isn't! I also did a bit of other adjustments, such as noise reduction and sharpening.

Archived