SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Eye piece seize

The advantage of the 2" eyepiece fitting is that you can have a wider field of view for the same focal length so they are only usually used for low power / long focal length eyepieces. If a scope will only accept 1.25" eyepieces it's not really a problem as that size will cover all eventualities really. Quite a few experienced observers only use 1.25" eyepieces.

You should be fine. The 2'' ep's allow for long focal lengths and wider field of views,

I only have one 28mm 2'' ep which came supplied with my SW ED80. I do not actually use it that much as I prefer my Baader Zoom which is a 1.25'' but has an adapter to make it a 2''. Not used it yet as a 2''.

Just for clarity, a 2" adapter won't make a 1.25" eye piece a 2" eye piece.

It just means a 1.25" eye piece will fit in a 2" focuser.

The focal length and field of view will remain the same.

But then I like the, "What really constitutes a 2 inch eyepiece?" debate!  :grin:

I was wondering if it makes much difference if a scope can only take 1.25" eye pieces over 2"? sorry if this is a daft question!!

Not a daft question - it means that the scope can provide a lower minimal magnification.

Archived