Narrowband

Atik 414ex vs M101. The colour edition.

MattJenko

Following on from my mono effort last week, I managed to gather the colour subs this week and have made a stab at processing it all. Managed to do everything in PixInsight, including Calibration/Integration, which is easier than I feared!

Feedback more than welcome. This is a bit of a vanity post, as I am very pleased with it (actually extremely pleased), but I know it could still be better as there is much to learn with these filter thingies and with what feels like hundreds of PI icons and images everywhere, I fear I am a messy processor and missing many tricks. (reviewing this post I have just seen the red glow in the left :) )

Atik 414ex. 9 x 10min L, 6 x 10min RGB. Skywatcher ED80.

65a9cac58302875e930421422e1ec767.1824x0_

Wonderful job. I hope my first LRGB image will be this nice.  I've been watching your progression.  I am coming up behind you.  The bits for my move to mono are slowing starting to be shipped.  Though I am still on the fence between the 414 and the 460. 

What I'm really interested in is how much easier is the Noise processing vs DSLR?  

Once again Congratulations. I will hopefully be joining you On the Dark Side soon.

A good image, M101 is a tough one, despite many making it look easy. Good resolution down to the galaxy core & lots of faint stuff in the spiral arms. A dose of DBE in Pixinsight would sort out the red gradient.

Thanks all. Tracking pointing north is actually quite tricky :)

The red is more noticeable after converting the jpg. That is not so say it isn't there when I look in my processing images. I have a sneaking suspicion I have forgotten or wilfully ignored all the sound advice to take one's time with DBE and get it right early on, and in my eagerness to get an image done, have rushed through some crucial phases and then tried to tidy up later with hasty masks and background stretches. I will have another go from scratch later this week and try and savour the process rather than shoulder charge my way through it.

@nightster : Noise processing is much easier with these images than the DSLR, but it is still there, so still needs to be dealt with, but I am still feeling a little swamped with all the channels and the additional things to think about, so can't really say if it is easier to process or not at the moment. Once I am more comfortable I will be able to tell, but initial thoughts are overwhelmingly that there is just less noise to start with. Imaging during a full moon is probably a factor as well.

Given a straight choice between a 460 and the 414, there is no question, the 460. However, I unfortunately live in a world dominated by financial limitations and compromise. I am not unhappy though, that way madness lies, and am rather more than enthusiastic about my new shiny toy.

Thanks all.

@nightster : Noise processing is much easier with these images than the DSLR, but it is still there, so still needs to be dealt with, but I am still feeling a little swamped with all the channels and the additional things to think about, so can't really say if it is easier to process or not at the moment. Once I am more comfortable I will be able to tell, but initial thoughts are overwhelmingly that there is just less noise to start with. Imaging during a full moon is probably a factor as well.

Given a straight choice between a 460 and the 414, there is no question, the 460. However, I unfortunately live in a world dominated by financial limitations and compromise. I am not unhappy though, that way madness lies, and am rather more than enthusiastic about my new shiny toy.

The financial limitation is my 'fence.' I am trying to be patient and since winter came late to North Carolina it makes it easier to wait and keep saving for a larger sensor. Plus our big astro event is NEAF in April and a good time to look for deals.

That's a very good M101 and I think the colour is nailed and agrees with the astrophysics.  :icon_salut:  Your background should be easy to sort in DBE as an early step. I think the key things to do are

1) be sure to work on an image with edge artefacts cropped off from the start. This is vital.

2) don't place too many markers and keep them well away from even the faintest nebulosity.

3) check the gradient model before accepting it. It should bear no resemblance to the image whatever - meaning nothing like M101 should appear in it.

4) increase the tolerance if you need a more aggressive attack on your gradients. All markers should be accepted by DBE.

Olly

Nice one Matt, loads going on in the core and the arms and the colour is great. You are a brave man capturing RGB data with so much moon about! I always shy away from anything but Ha for the ten or so days around the full moon.

Archived