SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Venus and Uranus

bish

For those who have difficulty finding Uranus, tonight is a great time to observe both

Venus and Uranus, and on the 11th it's the turn of Mars to be close to Uranus, hope

it stays clear for everyone.

I've had a lot of cloud just in that part of the sky. I could see Venus all the time, and luckily had enough of a clear patch to see Uranus in the same fov with a 6.5mm ep  (x185). The seeing wasn't great but I could make out the phase of Venus and disc of Uranus (slight blue hint to it).

Just been looking at these two together.

It's also the first time I've seen Uranus, and along with Mars and Jupiter, I've had my best night so far with the planets.

I couldn't see any colour on Uranus, but then Venus was dominating the FOV.

I actually stumbled on it (Uranus) by accident and only realised what I was looking at when I checked with Stellarium, as I could see something near Venus.

I knew Mars was close by, but this was something else.

So, a very happy chappie now. :grin:

Only missing Mercury and Neptune from my collection now...................hmmm tough ones last then :icon_cry:

Yup, first time I've ever been sure that I've seen Uranus.  So useful to have Venus as a signpost.  Have tried to find it on a several other occasions, and I think I MAY have seen it a couple of nights ago, but this evening was far more obvious.  Definitely not a twinkling star, and definitely Uranus.  Four planets in quick succession can't be bad. 

I saw these two last night after seeing a posting on the "Astronomy Now" Facebook page. As with a lot of people, this was the first time that I had knowingly seen Uranus.

However, I couldn't make out the phase of Venus. I was using a TAL100RS with a variety of eyepeices from 25mm to 6mm. (They were mostly Meade.) The image of Venus was very bright with this setup. Would I have been more likey to see a phase with a filter and, if so, does anybody have any recommendations?

BTW a few minutes later I turned my telescope towards Jupiter and could make out the belts very clearly, so I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with my setup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I saw these two last night after seeing a posting on the "Astronomy Now" Facebook page. As with a lot of people, this was the first time that I had knowingly seen Uranus.

However, I couldn't make out the phase of Venus. I was using a TAL100RS with a variety of eyepeices from 25mm to 6mm. (They were mostly Meade.) The image of Venus was very bright with this setup. Would I have been more likey to see a phase with a filter and, if so, does anybody have any recommendations?

BTW a few minutes later I turned my telescope towards Jupiter and could make out the belts very clearly, so I don't think there is anything intrinsically wrong with my setup.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I tried my OIII filter on Venus (purely to reduce the glare). It appeared to be a fully lit disc last night.

Archived