Narrowband

Post astromodding EOS 550d what's next

Hi.

I just finished astromodding my eos 550d, and it still works! No loose wires :grin:

So my question is, what do i need next? Most sites about modding say i will atleast need a IR cut filter, some say IR / UV cut filter.

The method i used was filter removal: "This involves removing the rear colour correcting filter and increases the camera's sensitivity to red light"

I was wondering about the: "Filter replacement with a Baader ACF or BCF filter", but after reading:

"THERE ARE **NO** OTHER ADVANTAGES IN HAVING THE FILTER REPLACED OTHER THAN THE CAMERA'S AUTOFOCUS WILL STILL WORK SO IT CAN STILL BE USED FOR NORMAL PHOTOGRAPHY WITH AN APPROPRIATE AUTO-FOCUSING LENS AND A WHITE BALANCE CORRECTION."

i chose to do the removal. Mostly because i can get a "Original Withe Balance" filter for my lens, or clip in and have the camera working like it was pre mod. The OWB filters i have seen clames to also restore the autofocus point.

There are no stores near by that have the cut filters, so i wil have to order one. Looks like it wil be clear skies tonight. Will i be able to use the modded camera without a cut filter, or should i wait untill i get a filter?

Will probably have a go anyways, but just wondreing what to expect :)

One more q. I was expecting autofocus to be "gone" and it's not. At a normal distance to take a picture of people, the fokus seams ok, at long distances the autofocus is out, but can still be manually adjusted.

The only thing i did not expect is that the fokus points "little red dots in viewfinder" is gone. Did i forget a connector after all, or is this normal?

Tanks in advance :)

Did you just remove the back filter and leave the front one in place or did you remove both? 

If you only removed the back one, you don't need the IR/UV cut as you have effectively left that in the camera already. 

I only use my camera for AP, so can't comment on the autofocus stuff!

I only removed the back filter.

So then i dont need a cut filter :)

It's clear skies, so ill have a test on it tonight.

Don't have my mount and scope here in the city, but can test it on the MilkWay with my 17-35mm f/2.8 canon L lens :)

Archived