Narrowband

Target for tonight? It's prediected to be clear

Mine: Bear Paw Galaxy: http://www.calvin.edu/academic/phys/observatory/images/Astr111.Spring2007/Smith.html

Its small, invisible to spot (you need to find the stars), and requires a decent length exposure. Tonight I'll be using the little 414EX..

Here's my previous images of it using a 4" APO, 2xPM and a 383L (fl 1340mm):

post-9952-0-18420600-1345588048_thumb.pn

I will be testing out a new idea I have and kit ahead of SGL.. Probably do with some more USB cables for backup..

So what's your poison for tonight?

Hehe - I'm just capturing test data, so Bear Paw would be good (it's small) but M81/M82 if the moon is too bright.. or M42... I may be tempted by the Quaser that's about mag 11.. 

May have another go at Lovejoy if it's clear, don't hold out too much hope though as according to the forecast it should be clear now and it's cloudy :)

Dave

Not according to the BBC weather.. it's cloudy throughout the day then clearing about 1800-1900 :) (can you hear the vain hope and optimism!)

No such problems for me, the weather forecast is still resolutely for a cloudy night up here in Manchester as it has been for a very long time. With the Moon high up and its location I would say that any meaningful imaging can only be done with targets as far away from it as possible and probably in either 3 or 5 nm Ha only.

A.G

No such problems for me, the weather forecast is still resolutely for a cloudy night up here in Manchester as it has been for a very long time. With the Moon high up and its location I would say that any meaningful imaging can only be done with targets as far away from it as possible and probably in either 3 or 5 nm Ha only.

A.G

Yeah, I got out and was cloud dodging to get Jupiter a few nights ago, but was horrible seeing. 

As for targets, I am going to have another go at the horsehead in Ha (due to the moon). I have got it before, but my scope was way out of collimation. Just re did it last night so hopefully it will last a day! 

I really would love to take advantage of clear skies like this.. but typically its on an almost full moon.

Is there even any point in attempting to image deep sky?? I tried last week and my new IDAS LP filter sorted the orange glow

out amazingly, but even the waxing moon left a cloudy grey one! 

High cloud here, so nothing going on.

I'll give it til 9pm, then pack away as the Moon is looking pretty fierce tonight.

Just finished cooking steak and chips, the scope is still out and the sky is cloudy with the Moon fast rising. I give it till 10 pm and then will pack it up.

A.G

It's very transparent here but the moon's also very bright. Having a trial run on M42 in 3 nm Ha with my 130 P-DS. Nothing very adventurous, just 12 x 240 sec subs to see how things go.

Decided to set up my portable imaging rig to try out before SGLX, just as well because somethings gone awry with the hand controller / PA reporting errors of 180 deg too low and 70 deg to far East, though drift aligning shows hardly any drift, something else to sort out now :)

Dave

Did the standard broadband colour subs for my M101 image Wednesday night which has come out well (for me), so certainly worth getting out there if you can even with the Moon in full effect. Pointing away at the moon works well enough, although I am not as discerning as some methinks. Make hay when the sun shines...

Archived