Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

eclipse sites around Inverness?

AlexG

Hi

I am planning to be in Inverness for the March 20 solar near-eclipse. Anyone with local knowledge able to give some advice.

Obviously you can see the sun, if it shows through clouds, from anywhere but equally there are hills and things that can get in the way.

I have yet to book some accommodation so any advice about clear views right outside my door would be appreciated.

Hi AlexG

I hope someone will have some specific advice for you, but maybe this will help a bit.

Inverness itself is quite busy and built-up, with fast growing housing estates in recent years. There is some great countryside nearby though. The easiest accommodation is probably the several Travelodges and similar, near to the centre, but I don't think these would be good for a view from their front doors - too many buildings, trees and other obstacles. Maybe you could stay there and drive out of town a few miles.

If you can get out of town, maybe the Black Isle, or alongside Loch Ness (the east side particularly), or out Cawdor way, out to the east on the Aberdeen road you might find a good place. There are lots of other possibilities, those are just a few. There are lots of B&Bs.

I hope someone nearer can help you more. Good luck, it is a nice part of the world to visit.

Thanks for that. Blimey, you are in the birdseat - in Orkney! Tantamount to a total eclipse there isn't it? 

It should be good anywhere but I just don't want to book somewhere and then find I am on the west side of a hill and have to walk miles to get around to the east.  I shall be struggling with my PST too.

Archived