Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello from Perth, Western Australia

bbunch

Hello all,

Greetings from Western Australia. I am a long time looker (naked eye), and have just received my first scope. Unfortunately, I can't open it for a few days more  :p but then....

Hopefully, the skies may remain dark and clear and I'll get to see something great. I also want my wife and little girls to be excited and amazed at what they may see.

I am sure I will lean on you all for advice from time to time.

thanks.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi bbunch and welcome to the forum. I take it this is a birthday present? Many happy returns and congratulations on purchasing your scope. I fear your children will be so excited that you might have to wait an additional couple of days before you get a chance to observe yourself!  :grin:  :grin: Don't hesitate to ask ANY question no matter how silly you may think it sounds as the daftest one is the one you didn't ask. Just post a question under the relevant section and the advice will be in coming before you have finished typing in that question mark.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

Hi,

Welcome to SGL. I am sure you will learn a lot on this forum which has a varied spectrum of members, from the very novice to absolute pro's of the field. I would suggest that you do two things while you are starting off.

a ) Download and install Stellarium (if you haven't already)

b ) Purchase a copy of the Collins Gem Night Sky, which is also available as Collins Gem Stars. Great little pocket book for visual observers.

I am an old fashioned guy when it comes to visual observing (though I am now an astrophotographer mostly). I do not recommend the use of smartphones. They give you the easy way out to look at things. A star chart on the other hand will make you "hunt" for the objects.

Do remember that the aperture of your scope will decide how faint an object can be seen. Also, Galaxies and nebulae will never appear in colour as in a photo, our eyes aren't designed to do long exposure imaging. :) LOL.

Finally, all the very best. Do join your local amateur astronomy club, interact with members, go to star parties because astronomy is like swimming. You cannot learn it through correspondence.

Clear Skies, 

Welcome to SGL. I used to live in Clarkson/Joondalup area so I know you are going to get some clear skies, more than we do up in the NH.

If you have not and you are on the North side of the Swan get in touch with AGWA the local astro group, great bunch of people and access to an observing site up in Chittering once you are a member.

Welcome to te Lounge.

I have posted this on a thread before, to try and give some basic things for a new starter.

Hope it helps a little. ;)

Welcome to this fascinating Pastime. :)

Firstly, I'd get a copy of a good astronomy Guide, something like, ' Turn Left at Orion ' or 'The Backyard Astronomers guide' books like these are invaluable when your starting out.

There are also some great free software, you can get to show you what's in the sky at night. http://www.skymaps.com Is something that you can print off, and is very handy.

There's also some software called 'Stellarium '. http://www.stellarium.org/en_GB/

That's great if you have a tablet or phone with you, whilst observing.

The other recommendation is find your nearest. Astro society, and go along, and see what other people have, it's a perfect opportunity to ask questions. :)http://www.firstligh...om/locator.html

Also have a good read at some of the beginners threads on here, they are very helpful,and may well give you some answers.

A must read is this. Please don't expect to see things , as you would on TV or in magazines. http://stargazerslou...-expect-to-see/

But for now your main objective is. ENJOY YOUR STARGAZING. ;)

Archived