SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Captured this bird flying across the moon last night. As it crosses it flaps then glides then flaps again. Any suggestions to what bird it could be?

11 frames so represents less than 1/2 second.

No sign of any hitch hiking weasels  :smiley:

post-34685-0-18567400-1425418199_thumb.j

post-34685-0-99767900-1425418201_thumb.j

post-34685-0-35221000-1425418204_thumb.j

post-34685-0-28369000-1425418206_thumb.j

post-34685-0-27944200-1425418208_thumb.j

post-34685-0-10581300-1425418210_thumb.j

post-34685-0-67693000-1425418211_thumb.j

post-34685-0-40048300-1425418213_thumb.j

post-34685-0-22911900-1425418215_thumb.j

post-34685-0-41730700-1425418217_thumb.j

post-34685-0-52591700-1425418219_thumb.j

Don't know what the bird is could be that woodpecker still in a state of shock and to frightened to land again :grin:.

Nice capture though  

Looking at some flight videos it could possibly be a Nightjar. 

Surprising how many birds fly around at night.

When imaging down in the obsy I often hear ducks and geese flying past late at night.

They are not very loud so must be fairly high up but on some nights a few have skimmed just over the roof tops.

No idea on the bird, but that moon is lovely and sh inarp!

Thanks. These are frames from a video untouched apart from compression to post. Was my first attempt at using the Canon 600d video digital crop/zoom mode. It is not 1 to 1 ratio but as close as I can get without a computer attached. See my other post. http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/238303-canon-600d-video-digital-zoom-crop-mode-x3-to-x10/

Surprising how many birds fly around at night.

When imaging down in the obsy I often hear ducks and geese flying past late at night.

They are not very loud so must be fairly high up but on some nights a few have skimmed just over the roof tops.

Very true, especially early evening when garden birds take advantage of the moonlight. I am surrounded by owls most nights can be a little creepy at times as they get so close and you still cannot see them. Even more creepy is when there is no moon and it is pitch black and you hear the thud of hooves/feet getting closer and various grunting noises.

Very true, especially early evening when garden birds take advantage of the moonlight. I am surrounded by owls most nights can be a little creepy at times as they get so close and you still cannot see them. Even more creepy is when there is no moon and it is pitch black and you hear the thud of hooves/feet getting closer and various grunting noises.

Hehheh, yes the sangliers can be a bit unnerving. I heard hooved feet very, very close the other night. Then remembered that the farmer's wife had put her horses in the field.  Phew.

We used to have a Scops Owl (Petit Duc) who made an absolutely regular and slightly irksome electronic beep throughout the night, once every twenty seconds. However, they buried the phone lines, cut his pole down, and now I rather miss him...

Olly

Hehheh, yes the sangliers can be a bit unnerving. I heard hooved feet very, very close the other night. Then remembered that the farmer's wife had put her horses in the field.  Phew.

We used to have a Scops Owl (Petit Duc) who made an absolutely regular and slightly irksome electronic beep throughout the night, once every twenty seconds. However, they buried the phone lines, cut his pole down, and now I rather miss him...

Olly

The scary bit is not being able to see what or where it is, and knowing it can see you. Some really big prints on the veg plot the other morning, don't think it was a Sanglier as they tend to leave world war three behind them.

We get a Scops from time to time, agree it can be somewhat irksome but like you I miss them when they go. 

Pigeon, best guess. Flap,flap, flap, glide....flap, flap,flap.

A 'Flying Sanglier' would have been bigger. ;)

May have been but I think it is the wrong shape  - for a pigeon or a Sanglier  :grin:

Pity it wasn't a Sanglier, we could have used the image as the company logo for our new French e-card business 'Lune-Sanglier.fr' ;) Might have caught on.

"Buzzard", flies high enough, and exibits the flight behaviour.

Pity it wasn't a Sanglier, we could have used the image as the company logo for our new French e-card business 'Lune-Sanglier.fr' ;) Might have caught on.

"Buzzard", flies high enough, and exibits the flight behaviour.

I like it, we could have nocturnal Sanglier sending e-cards in no time. Both Pigeon and buzzard are possibilities as you have said both flap and gllide. ot sure how much nocturnal flying they do. Strangely, it has just happened again, this time the bird closer to the camera so much bigger. Will post when I get chance to process. 

Something else flew over my head tonight quite low, couldn't see a thing even with the moon. Sounded like a swans wing beat but I guess I will never know.

Archived