SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

First Light with Lunt Herschel Wedge

RobertI

My Lunt Wedge arrived from FLO today ahead of the predicted date (thanks FLO) and I managed a very brief 20 minute view using my Megrez 72 with a very low sun. This was my very first solar observation so forgive any novice errors in terminology.

Setting up the wedge was a breeze and I quickly found the sun using the 10mm Hyperion giving 43x mag. Initial impressions were that there weren't many sunspots but what I could see was easily seen together with some granulation. The image was much sharper and steadier than I would have expected with the sun so low. Impatient as ever, I switched to the BST 5mm giving 87x to see what difference I could see. I found adjusting the polarising filter to almost its dimmest seemed to reveal the most detail and there was plenty of sunspot detail, a prominent filament, and granulation visible.

The more I looked the more I saw, sadly with the sun setting and a gusting wind I was up against it. I switched back to 40x and the filaments, granulation and bright areas (do they have a name?) were really prominent and much clearer than before - I had obviously not given myself enough time to adapt and learn what I was seeing on my first attempt at 40x. Sadly time ran out but I was hugely impressed with the views and I can see massive potential going forward. On my very brief encounter I reckon that 43x gave the crispest images and revealed the most features except for the detail of the sunspots where 87x revealed more.

Early days but I reckon this could be the best £129 I have ever spent!  :grin:  I'm looking forward to learning and enjoying all about solar oberrving in the coming months. 

Rob

....... and bright areas (do they have a name?) 

Early days but I reckon this could be the best £129 I have ever spent!  :grin:  I'm looking forward to learning and enjoying all about solar oberrving in the coming months. 

Rob

Great stuff Rob, i'm chuffed its working well and you enjoyed it so much. 

I think the bright areas are referred to simply as active regions.  I may have to be stood corrected in the next post though :) 

The sun today had excellent examples of many different features, my viewing session was very short but very sweet.

It's very addictive as you have already noticed. 

Sunspots - Umbra and penumbra (with high magnification and good seeing you may also see fibrils within the penumbra)

The surface granulation (which changes every 10 min or so), then the brighter areas are plage...which is associated with active areas (at the beginning or end of their development)

If the solar bug bites, you'll find that overtime your Wedge will become one of your most used astro items and so in relative terms should end up being one your cheapest buys :grin: That's a lot of words to say, great stuff, Rob and congratulations on your new addition.

While you're looking out for a Baader Continuum filter which I feel will complement your wedge and polariser, a #57 (green) filter will suffice for quite sometime. Indeed, there are observers who'd suggest you do not need more.

The Sun in white light is going through a little lull at the moment but you should be able to pick out quite an amount of detail. Shaun wrote up a little entry on solar features here (although some of them are not visible in white light) and you might find this entry useful.

Look forward to some more reports soon :smiley:

Thanks for your help and encouragement guys. Rob - those links are great, i shall have a good read. I believe I have a green #57 filter so i will give this a go next time out. Can't wait!

Great report Robert. Your first light report sounds very much like my own (which was today). Its amazing to be able to see granulation on the surface. I also found that i had to have the polarising filter set on the dimmest. My continuum filter made everything a funky green.

Paul,

For visual solar, if you don't want the green look, then just use the variable polariser....

Yep that is probably what i will do most of the time. Its nice to have a continuum filter but it may not get used often. Shame really as it was a pretty expensive filter and the one that i least need.

As with anything astro related, the scope is the cheapest part. Its the filters etc that add up. 

No worries as i'm excited about this new venture into Solar observing. 

It's curious how our eyes and heart react differently. I've found the continuum filter to be a great aid, enhancing detail and contrast to quite an extent. Perhaps giving it a few more sessions may help.

The brighter areas you spotted are also referred to as faculae (as seen in white light near the limb, as a rule). When seen in CaK or H-alpha you are seeing their chromospheric parts, which can be seen much more easily across the entire disk. These are either refered to as chromospheric faculae or plages. Sunspots are always associated with faculae or plages, but faculae or plages may be seen without sunspots. In either case the regions containing them are called active regions.

The brighter areas you spotted are also referred to as faculae (as seen in white light near the limb, as a rule). When seen in CaK or H-alpha you are seeing their chromospheric parts, which can be seen much more easily across the entire disk. These are either refered to as chromospheric faculae or plages. Sunspots are always associated with faculae or plages, but faculae or plages may be seen without sunspots. In either case the regions containing them are called active regions.

The mists are clearing, thanks!

Congrats on your first light, Rob! The detail you can see with a Herschel wedge really is something :laugh:

re: Continuum filter, I love mine, I don't use a polariser, try and give the SC a bit longer, Paul, if you are like me or quite a few others you'll say after a while that you don't even notice the colour. That sounds crazy given that it looks green but I just see detail now.  Mind you, I though that blue and black dress was gold and white (!) :

http://stargazerslounge.com/topic/238020-so-you-think-you-know-which-colours-are-which/

Congratulations on the purchase Rob :smiley:  We have had some fantastic sunspots last year and they were a joy to observe. Some of the detail that can be seen around sunspots is excellent and some quite high magnification can be achieved  :laugh:

Ive no plans to get rid of the SC filter. I do plan on using it. Just not sure if i will use it during every session. The chances are that i might. As you say Luke, after a while the colour will not even be noticed. Ive experienced this with other coloured filters in the past. You tend to just concentrate on the details they provide.

Archived