Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

William Optics GT-81 Triplet Refractor

Someone posted some quick images from a GRT-81 a few days back, looked very good, they used the flatener for it (GT-81 dedicated item). Everything was sharp and the reports of the new R&P focuser were good.

Oddly I think that the flatener adds to the focal length and so slows the speed down.

Not enough to be concerned about but information.

There is however one potential problem. On some of them the lens spacers encroach on the optical path and lead to there being spikes on the stars, usually 3.

Need to look at the front of the scope and make sure that all you can see is the scope body no little tabs should be visible at all anywhere. Anone saying there have no effect is wrong.

There is/was a GTF-821 with the flatener built in, bit more cost, but not fiddling getting the spacing right.

If there is one around (new) then may be worth considering for ease and not having to buy a flatener, which is £135..

Searched but cannot see the post.

It did not have any replies and I nearly put in a reply, should have now as it would have been easy to locate.

As said it all looked good, just be aware of those tabs.

Cannot recall the mount and if any guiding, vague idea no guiding - but that may have been another I read.

Archived