SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

QHY5L-II-color - FireCapture 2.4 settings

egidio

Hey guys!!! I just get this camera <3 Does any of you have it?

Can you please suggest me some settings for Jupiter (and moon) for FireCapture? I know I have to search the object in 1280x960, record in 640x480, DON'T USE DEBAYER DURING RECORDING, gamma disable. As for shutter speed do i set it on minimum??? What about gain?

I have an f/5 telescope, will be using it with televue barlow 2x getting f/10 and televue powermate 5x getting f/25.

Thanks =)

also:

this has to be always attached, right? and what is that rubber band at the right? actually they're two:

u6eYQH1.jpg

and this other ring? "location ring?" what is it for?

THANKS GUYS =)

pAZ0GO7.jpg

As far as the objects shown, The black one I believe is a 20mm C extension, and the 2 on the right are thin sacers. They are used to get a usable foal distance for the camera. The ring goes with a black screw, in the box somewhere also. Fit it on the body of the camera and lock down with the screw. Use it to adjust the focal distance also.

As far as the objects shown, The black one I believe is a 20mm C extension, and the 2 on the right are thin sacers. They are used to get a usable foal distance for the camera. The ring goes with a black screw, in the box somewhere also. Fit it on the body of the camera and lock down with the screw. Use it to adjust the focal distance also.

indeed it has a little hole, but no black screw =(

It's handy as it sets up the depth into the focuser to save time after it's been out of the train. The EP holder should capture it without the ring. I'd contact the vendor after one last check under the foam in the box, etc. It's on the list. You should get it.

It's handy as it sets up the depth into the focuser to save time after it's been out of the train. The EP holder should capture it without the ring. I'd contact the vendor after one last check under the foam in the box, etc. It's on the list. You should get it.

quell thing is im gonna use it only inside the barlow, not directly in the focuser, so... oh yeah i warned the vendo already...

• 2 weeks later...

Exposure settings are something that's very specific to each scope and camera combination, and you can only really find them by playing. Start with a gain of about 50% then bring up the histogram on screen and change the exposure until the histogram finishes somewhere around 75% of the way across the screen. That usually gives you a good signal to noise ratio without decreasing your frame rate too much. Increasing gain and then decreasing exposure will give you a higher frame rate, but generally noisier frames.

yeah, that ring with a screw missing is the parfocal ring, and mine came with the screw missing too - fortunately I had a (very) cheap barlow kicking around in my junk box with a screw that fit so was able to snaffle that.

To use it, focus the scope with an eyepiece, then swap the eyepiece for the camera and without changing the focuser, slide the camera in and out until you've got the camera in focus, and then tighten the ring down with it resting against the eyepiece holder.

That way, you can very quickly get rough focus with the camera - put the same eyepiece in first, focus it, swap eyepiece for camera and the ring holds it in the right place.

yeah, that ring with a screw missing is the parfocal ring, and mine came with the screw missing too - fortunately I had a (very) cheap barlow kicking around in my junk box with a screw that fit so was able to snaffle that.

To use it, focus the scope with an eyepiece, then swap the eyepiece for the camera and without changing the focuser, slide the camera in and out until you've got the camera in focus, and then tighten the ring down with it resting against the eyepiece holder.

That way, you can very quickly get rough focus with the camera - put the same eyepiece in first, focus it, swap eyepiece for camera and the ring holds it in the right place.

thanks, man =D

thing is: im gonna use this camera only with barlow and powermate, i mean, sticking the camera inside one of them, so technically i don't need that ring, correct?

Hey. Great cam.

I've got the mono one and love it, even more than my D610 sometimes :)

At the beginning i was struggling with seeing ANYTHING in the cam as i had totally wrong gain/ms settings and most important, i had focus totally wrong.

After a while you'll get a feeling of the settings, but until then i always set the exposure to smth that you'll see a 'fast' change (like 40ms) and set the gain to smth that makes your screen display a darkish gray when the lid is uncovered.

I highly recommend that you test everything at daytime on a far away terrestrial object so you know that the focus is more or less ok, then you'll 'just' have to play around with gain & ms until you get it right (lower the gain the better  as the noise reduces). But if you have to first find focus, AND gain AND ms settings, you'll spend 2h like me and be frustrated while clouds pull in :)

Regards, Graem

Archived