SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My First Experience.....

As a total newbie, I thought I would share my first experiences.

I am wondering about whether to buy a Telescope and have been lucky enough to borrow a telescope from a work colleague, a Celestron Astromaster 130EQ. He also bought it with a Neximage CCD 97312.

I think he has only used it a couple of times.

First thing I did was get it out, and put the OTA (I've even learnt some acronyms in a couple of days!!) on the mount. Unfortunately the plastic bracket on the mount has broken and he's just used some cable ties looped around to keep it in shape, unfortunately this means it's not to easy to get level.

Anyway after that I thought I needed to look at the manual, well it tells me what to do, but it's none too clear to me, and apparently to my work colleague either as it was neither balanced or was anywhere near the correct altitude (This was found out later).

So I put the manual down and took it out anyway, pointed it at the Moon and was very impressed with the view!!  That was my viewing for the night.

Next day I decided to utilise the internet to translate the instructions into plain English, luckily a couple of videos on Youtube helped really well, I found out what was actually being balanced and how it would show it was balanced. Then found out how to polar align, moved the scope from it's 20 degrees to somewhere near 52 degrees. I also tried installing the software onto my Windows tablet, found out the drivers were no good, but after a bit of hunting around I found found the Philips drivers and installed them, also found reference to a different capture software and updated stacking software. I also took it out during the day, pointed it a chimney and had a go at aligning the starpointer (despite already reading how useless it was). Unfortunately the weather was pretty poor so didn't go out.

Last night the weather cleared up so took it out for a view, to much of a rush to polar align, so just pointed it, firstly  the moon, probably better than the first night, as it was balanced it seemed to stay still when moved better. Gassendi (I looked it up later) was particularly spectacular to view, and highlighted how the light on the edge enhances the features. It was then that I popped in the Neximage, now I had a quick look inside before at the software, didn't bother with the instructions!! Still it wasn't too bad, managed to work out that I could change the exposure using a slider (Which was a bit fiddly on the tablet) but it was ok, wasn't sure how much to capture for stacking, so opted for 30 seconds. Now it was a bit windy and combined with the leg issue probably didn't help, it could possibly have been focused a bit better. Anyway grabbed a few vids, wasn't sure what they would be like as the moon drifted across a bit in those 30 seconds.

Processed the pictures later, not too bad I guess, particularly as I didn't know what I was doing with the software, just playing about.

Next I swung to Jupiter, switched on the starpointer, (battery was failing on it) amazingly when I looked through the eyepiece there it was, Jupiter and the Galilean moons, I imagine I can't be the only one that marveled at their first view of this. By the time I ran inside and got the family it had drifted out of view, queue a lot of faffing about to find it again, must have been lucky first time with the starpointer!! (Although the battery was dead and the battery cover is seized in situ, so will probably be damaged when I force it off). Finally the family managed to see it. I tried a couple of times to use the Neximage, but each time all I could see on the screen was blackness, so will have to be patient and try again.

So overall quite enjoyable, will have to get some gloves though. I had a couple of times where I couldn't actually see anything through the EP (Another acronym!!), as my eye wasn't on the right place (If that makes sense). I may get a barstool out as it was a bit awkward sometime hunched over (Unless it's a thing you get used to). I'll maybe have a go at polar alignment next, although the dodgy tripod brackets might make it pointless.  It also has a motor drive so If I can get it aligned it will be good to see it in action.

I quite enjoyed the tactile element with the scope and would probably enjoy tinkering. Still in two minds about getting one, but am leaning to buying a Skywatcher 150p / pl second hand with a mount for around £160. I think this will be a good outlay for a scope that will no necessarily be used a great deal, but will be decent when it is, rather than spending a lot on a better one. Hopefully I've attached a picture.

Capture 2015-03-01T17_50_38.bmp

Hi Dean,

I really enjoyed reading your first impressions of telescopes and fair play to you for imaging on the same night! I think you have already climbed most of the learning curve :)

I have been wow-ed by the sky for 30 years and every time I look at Jupiter I feel that same sense of awe and the same awareness that if only everyone could look and feel that then the world and science would be a better place. It what drives me to do public outreach and reading your impressions re-invigorates me.

Thank you :)

Regards

Dannae

Hi Dean. Thanks for sharing your first observing session. Sounds like you have learned a lot already.

Perhaps a visit to a local club might be good ? Found two here http://www.astronomyclubs.co.uk/Clubs/Default.aspx?CountyId=58

At my local club, we often get enquiries to help with telescope use, we always do our best to help, with no obligation to join.

It's a good idea to enquire first of course, just to make sure it's ok.

Regards, Ed.

Great post Dean, you have really done well for a novice, it can be a real steep learning curve to start with.

You mention using a bar stool, that's a great idea. It makes a huge difference to be comfortable at the EP and allows you to give objects the time and concentration they deserve.

Hi Dean

I am a complete newbie too and did the same as you. Moon first then Jupiter. Just pointed the scope in the rough direction and a little adjustment. Didn't do the polar alignment thing so had to constantly adjust. Now have some motors so setting up properly now. Looking through scope still never ceases to amaze meme.

I didn't polar align either, managed ok. Things have moved on though. I decided on a budget of around £160-£180 for a second hand scope. I was at my parents and mentioned I was borrowing a scope and was looking to maybe buy one. My dad immediately said he'd buy me one for my birthday (its the big five o). I the absence of wanting to but anything else I accepted the budget of £200 (this could actually be £360-to £380 if I add my initial investment, however I'm not sure my usage would warrant the extra expenditure to be honest). So I was scouring ebay, gumtree etc. for a Sky-watcher or Celestron 150 Newtonian, hoping one might come up in time for April 9th! Thursday night I spotted a Celestron C8-N on gumtree for £200. It is now in my possession!

It was in pretty good condition and included the Celestin eyepiece and filter set (Ive read mixed reviews on these!). Just spent all day cleaning and lubricating And generally tinkering with it. Only issues were minor, missing polar alignment cap, "o" ring missing from the finderscope. The two main things were the azimuth alignment peg was broken. (Ive replaced it with a bolt at the moment) and the cross hairs in the finder scope were broken. I didn't realise that there were supposed to be any until I tried cleaning the "hair" from it!!! Couldn't see any way to fix it last night, however upon further inspection this morning I saw that I could totally disassemble it. I managed to unscrew the brass ring that had the broken crosshairs on it. Luckily the kids had broken their iPod cables and these made nice donors for new wires the same fine thickness as the broken ones, a bit of superglue and reassembly and its good to go! I now need to go out side and attempt a bit of polar alignment

Firstly thanks for all the nice comments, I have to say this forum is much more civil than a lot of (Non Astronomy) forums I've been on, which is a good thing!

Anyway I took my new scope out on Saturday and was blown away as soon as I saw Jupiter. I'd read a lot about expectations, so maybe mine were a little low, but the clarity was great (I used the 20mm plossl supplied  mainly)

I think I also began to understand some of the things I'd been reading about, the scope was saturated in condensation on the outside, although it didn't seem to affect the mirrors, my only concern is will it be an issue with a metal tube?

I had to look at a video again on how to balance, totally forgot, however in the one I looked at the guy said to set it in a "T" shape on it's side, which made sense, so hopefully I've got it now!

I attempted a rudimentary polar alignment. I wasn't sure which way to align the tripod legs, the one leg facing North or South? I seem to have read different things, I guess it doesn't matter in the long run, seemed more natural to have the single leg facing North. I had to change the Altiitude from it's lowly locked position of about 20 (I even double checked that I'm about 52 rather than 22, given that the one I borrowed was around this setting too!!)  Found Polaris and roughly lined up, couldn't see it in the EP so just went with a 32mm EP and then there were two distinct stars, looking with my own eyes in the sky I could only see one, through the EP there were two, as well as lots of others!! Decided it must be the brighter of the two. I then fine tuned the Azimuth and Altitude until it was in the middle, so not perfect but it would do for me for the moment!!

Like I say swung it around to Jupiter and was instantly rewarded with a great view. I then fine tuned the finder scope using Jupiter (Although I'll need to redo it when I fit an O ring. I made sure I labeled the slow motion knobs "R.A." and "DEC" so I wouldn't be too confused. The alignment was pretty good, could track using RA with a touch of DEC every now and then, so pretty pleased.

I did have a couple of moments, forgetting to take overs off the EP's , misplacing them and even looking down the focuser not seeing anything until I realised there was no EP in it! The focuser was a tad wobbly, but upon reading this forum found out about 2 tiny grub screws that I hadn't noticed, tightened these up Sunday before taking it out again. I also had a look at the Moon on Saturday and again was blown away with the detail especially along the terminator.

Sunday was my first glimpse of frustration! I have no idea about collimating but reading the guide on this forum I checked the distance from the centre of the spider to the outer tube, this was 5mm out  in one plane. So adjusted that, then thought it may put everything else out, not having anything to check it with I just left it at that, tried the star test but looked ok although it depended how I placed my eye!

So on the Sunday I set it up to view Jupiter again. No sooner had I got it in my sights than a cloud came over, still not deterred I thought I'd look at Venus, this meant spinning right around and the turning the tube. Had a quick look, very bright and saw a spectrum of light, then this clouded over!!! Back to Jupiter! Played around with the EP's, but not the filters.  Found my self grasping a couple of times for the slo mo knobs and not finding them where I thought! Also dropped an EP but it survived!

Also tried the Neximage camera of my Friends over the weekend, It's got a price of £149.99 on the box, I think I may be a touch disappointed If I had paid that for it, although I guess it's pretty old now. Anyway had a play, not really knowing what I am doing with the software, but not too bad. I'll upload a couple of pics of the Moon and Jupiter later as the are on the tablet at home.

Overall I'm very pleased with my purchase, trying not to think about what to do next, but flocking is cheap!! (Although I might look at the dump for an old cooker or hifi to take the knobs of to change my slo mo ones as they are a bit cracked. (I also like the fancy focusing wheels on the Skywatcher compared to mine!!)

I'll possibly post how I fixed my crosshairs in another part of the forum later (If someone hasn't already done it).

Archived