SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

ASCOM 6.1sp1 fails to install

frugal

In an attempt at debugging my SGPro woes, I tried to install ASCOM and EQMod onto a higher end laptop. Unfortunately despite all of my best efforts I have not been able to install it as there appears to be a file missing. The strange thing is that noone else seems to have the same problem.

Has anyone else had ASCOM fail to install because Ascom.Utilities.dll cannot be found? If I look in the directory given in the error message, it points to a directory that does not exist.

I have the requisite .NET framework installed, and I have thelaptop patched to the most recent Win7 SP1, so I appear to meet all of the prerequisites. I am really confused as it all installed fine on my old battered XP laptop that I use in the field.

Windows7 Sp1, the problem is that as part of the installation it unpacks the install file to C:\Program Data\{long-guid}\... However when it comes to register the Ascom.Utilities.DLL, the file does not exist in the folder.

Unfortunately there are no release dates in the Ascom documentation, so I am not sure if this is a brand new version that has teething troubles, or a 1 year old version that just hates me ;)

I’ve had PHD guiding problems recently on my laptop running XP (though it worked for 7 years). I also installed from scratch onto a much more powerful laptop running windows 7 and initially had problems with ASCOM installation, though it is now fully functioning. The laptop anti virus software may have been an issue, though I fiddled around so much I didn’t document how things finally got sorted. I guess you have seen this:

http://www.ascom-standards.org/Help/Developer/html/T_ASCOM_Utilities_Exceptions_ProfilePersistenceException.htm

I’ve just fired up my Win7 laptop. I have Ascom 6 installed. The Ascom.Utilities.dll file is here:

Program files>common files>ASCOM folder>.net folder

Within the .net folder are two files and a read me doc:

Ascom.DriverAccess.dll

Ascom.Utilities.dll

Read Me document

The read me document says:

These files are not in use by the Platform, they are just present to ensure that installers created for platform 5 that test for their presence continue to work correctly.

In that case, I wonder if no one has noticed because if you install 6.1sp1 over a previous installation you already have the dll. As I am doing a fresh install I do not have an old copy of the dll lying around so I get the error.

It makes me wonder if I have an older version on the Toughbook.

The laptop anti virus software may have been an issue, though I fiddled around so much I didn’t document how things finally got sorted. I guess you have seen this:

I've just installed ascom on my Windows 7 laptop (fresh install).  I had to disable the antivirus software whilst I installed ascom.  Not a problem for me since it's going to be a dedicated astro laptop but not something I was very happy about having to do.  I had a similar problem installing FireCapture, both downloaded from the official websites.

In that case, I wonder if no one has noticed because if you install 6.1sp1 over a previous installation you already have the dll. As I am doing a fresh install I do not have an old copy of the dll lying around so I get the error.

It makes me wonder if I have an older version on the Toughbook.

I think the ascom site allows you to download older versions also - scratch that, just checked. Its the Astro Physics ascom drivers link I’m thinking of.

Archived