Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

converting a scope question

Hey guys and gals,

Im getting into astronomy the past year. Back before i knew what i was doing i bought a used department store style 4.5 inch scope. It was like $120 retail i got for $40. Good deal for what it was, but its a piece of Rubbish.

So im on a budget right now and cant really upgrade to the scope id like to. I know the optics and the mitrors arent top notch, but im ok with them for now. My biggest issue with the scope is the stand. Standard rubbish wobbly thing that when you point it at something settles so its pointing off.

So, im wondering if anyone has taken one of these and built a cheap dobson style mount for them. Wondering if this could work?

Hi Jolal,

The attached image is my sons scope that originally got me hooked. As I have upgraded my equipment he has benefited from my hand me downs to be able to upgrade his. 

Originally his scope was a £40 department store plastic job he got last Christmas from his granddad. You only had to breath next to it and the viewing image would disappear, it was so wobbly on its flimsy tripod that holding it was easier. His upgrades comprise of £5 ebay tube rings, my original EQ5 mount and 9x50 finder scope. His viewing is now as good as mine so it goes to show that the mount is oh so important and a cheap scope is still a good scope.post-36500-0-64109200-1425182957_thumb.j  

Thanks!

If it is the aluminium tripod -->post-4682-0-54107900-1425185817.jpg that is causing the 'wobbles' you can always pour sand or concrete down the legs.

An alternative is a surveyors tripod -->post-4682-0-79579000-1425186697.jpg though you will have to modify the part where the theodolite is mounted/attached to the legs.

Archived