Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SkyQ and StarSense

I'm planning to add the SkyQ wifi to my set up, currently a CPC 800 HD, aligned with a StarSense.

The plan is then to control with SkySafari 4 Pro on iPad.

Everything I've read seems to suggest it should work.

Any thoughts on compatibility?

• 3 weeks later...

The above setup is probably not going to be common or interesting to a lot of people, but here's my experience... It doesn't work.

I reached out to the makers of SkySafari and they had some helpful information, with a solution that on the face of it should work how I want it to.

Bill Tschumy, Mar 16, 13:36:

Andrew,

Yes, you would let StarSense do the alignment and then connect with SkySafari.

Yes, with SkyQ Link you cannot simultaneously use the StarSense hand controller for alignment. The two interfaces will end up fighting each other. This works with SkyWire because you are connecting through the StarSense controller.

Bill Tschumy

SkySafari Developer

Andrew Jonathan Hill, Mar 15, 18:15:

I've just watched your video explaining the SkyWire on YouTube (dated 2011 I believe). My setup is a CPC 800 HD with alignment by StarSense. In the video it's explained that the telescope needs to be aligned first with the hand control, so I assume alignment with my StarSense should work the same and will not conflict with the operation of the SkyWire and SkySafari 4 Pro on my iPad?

My recent attempt to use a Celestron SkyQ Link 2 wifi adaptor with SkySafari failed and I think it's because it cannot be used at the same time as the StarSense.

Archived