Narrowband

bridge camera.

I've been thinking of late about my fujufilm s1800 bridge camera and how its just sitting on a shelf not being used as I found out you can't use a camera like that in the eyepiece like you can with a point and shoot.

So my question is...... Could I take it apart, remove the lens and use it like I would with my webcam?

Or am I thinking stupid thought? Things work in my head but in reality its impossible!!

I never understood those types of camera. What advantage does a DSLR have over a point-and-shoot if you can't change the dang lens!

How do you use your webcam with your scope currently? Hold it up to the eyepeice? Tape it the eyepeice? You have a holder thingy?

p.s. If your sorta-DSLR is as bad as my real DSLR it will take a full 1 minute exposure to get something as bright as you see through the eyepeice. (At least, if you're DSO hunting and you're 100% dark adapted)

If you don't want to hold it there... I think you're just out of luck.

I have the adapter for the webcam so goes straight into the focuser, I have a mount for the camera to put it next to the eyepiece but its a wide angle lens and just won't PIC anything up. Maybe I will just have to use it for piggyback on the scope take a handfull of 8 second exposure shots and stack them together or something.

I have the adapter for the webcam so goes straight into the focuser, I have a mount for the camera to put it next to the eyepiece but its a wide angle lens and just won't PIC anything up. Maybe I will just have to use it for piggyback on the scope take a handfull of 8 second exposure shots and stack them together or something.

That sounds likely the best you could do with that.

(p.s. This thread made me update my sig, I forgot to add my camera to my eqipment list!)

Didn't even know there was an equipment list!! Will have a look into that. May just stick with the webcam for the main imaging then and just use the camera for other stuff, like plants and other generic stuff aha

Well, good luck with that and have clear skies!

(Not that we're gonna get any, this is england after all)

I take it that the lens does not normally pop off the Fuji?

If you do remove it, like as not you may have a real problem acheiving focus at all with your telescope. Beware about irreverisible hacking.

Can you increase the ISO on the camera, it might help with afocal use.

I take it that the lens does not normally pop off the Fuji?

If you do remove it, like as not you may have a real problem acheiving focus at all with your telescope. Beware about irreverisible hacking.

Can you increase the ISO on the camera, it might help with afocal use.

It is fully attached, I have heard about not reaching focus with a DSLR on my scope so you could be right.

I have the mount that attaches a camera so it sits on the eyepiece but its super hard to line up onto the camera lens... I may give it another go once we get a few clear nights in a row (like that will happen) aha for now the webcam will do but it would be nice to use it as it is pretty good at picking up stars and stuff whereas the webcam isn't.

Never been able to get decent night photos with my bridge camera (fujifilm S2980), since it can only auto focus it struggles to pick up stars and there's no way to manually focus that I can find. Can't connect a shutter release cable either so you need to manually hit the button which then induces a lot of shaking. If you do manage something the I would be quite interested in the results, good luck!

I did get OK shot of Orion the other week, had it set at 8 second exposure and and set the self timer to 10 seconds to take away the shake. Its not great for deep sky stuff but things like that its OK with...

If I filled up my memory card with loads of the same shot could I then stack them together?

Archived