Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

In praise of the old Nag

Moonshane

Against what seems to be a tide of popularity of the 'mega' wide (MW) 100 degree eyepieces, I have gone slightly the other way. Some time ago I sold my only MW eyepiece, a 13mm Televue (TV) Ethos and was almost counselled by people urging me to keep it, I'd regret it etc etc. For many the Ethos is the pinnacle of observing experience and I can certainly see why. They are wonderful eyepieces and provide exceptionally sharp, wide views full of contrast and detail.

With the funds raised by selling my Ethos, I put some towards a solar scope (a PST mod) and some towards a 16mm Nagler but not the more usual T5, I went for the cheaper option the T2 Nagler. This had (give or take) the same field as the 13mm Ethos but a slightly lower magnification which I found suited me better. It also has a (for me) perfect eye relief of about 10-12mm which allows the whole field to be seen with averted vision when  looking centrally. After the success of this eyepiece which replaced the MW Ethos (I have never missed it) I regrouped after buying the PST mod and bought another eyepiece from the same T2 series, this time the 12mm Nagler. This was also pin sharp, maybe some slight distortion in the extreme edge of field (I use it mainly in a 12" f4 scope with paracorr type 1) but with a darker sky background and the two Naglers combined provide more options than a single eyepiece yet covering the same field and magnification between them. I personally prefer the field of the Nagler (and actually also the Panoptic) to the MW field. These two eyepieces are dual barrel eyepieces so will fit both 2" and 1.25" focusers. They are quite weighty though albeit not so much when compared with a MW of the same focal length.

I have been happy with these for a while and also with my preference for simple narrower field eyepieces such as plossl and orthos for planetary but recently have tried the 12mm against a 12.5mm BGO and was somewhat surprised that the view was almost identical other than the field. I also found that the view of the moon in the Ethos created weird blotches of colour (pinkish and blue) and there is no sign of this in the T2s.

As a result of this I have been considering changing my BGOs for type one Naglers. A 7mm T1 came up for sale recently and I sold my 7mm BGO and 12.5mm BGO to fund its purchase. I am absolutely delighted that I did. It is in almost pristine condition, and on Jupiter the other night (OK a single use) provided wonderful views at 190x give or take in my 12" dob. I could not fault the image in any way. There was a very slightly (spherical?) aberration in the extreme field as the planet went out but it was in view twice as long as with the BGO resulting in less 'nudges'. The view matched the 8mm and 10mm Radians other than in magnification and the fact that seeing at the higher levels was more intermittent.

The 7mm T1 is shown in the pics below in comparison with a 25mm plossl and a 8mm Radian. The weight is in between the two. The 7mm ignoring the extended nose is about the same size as a 25mm plossl.  Eye relief is comfortable if you don't wear glasses and almost identical to the 12mm and 16mm T2s.

I'd certainly recommend this eyepiece and older eyepieces of these types generally to those looking for a more economical way to gain access to wonderfully wide views with great detail and sharpness.

I'll certainly be seeking a 9mm T1 in due course!

post-5119-0-33825500-1425138717_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-16780100-1425138742_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-18773200-1425138766_thumb.jp

• Like 4

Nice EPs Shane :smiley: 

I can never quite make my mind up as to what I like best when it comes to eyepieces......

I thought I had my ideal set, a 27 Pan, a couple of Radians, and the 3-6 zoom to cover all my needs....... 

That's until last year when a local clubmate was selling a 24 Pan and a 9T6 Nag for such a great price I couldn't resist.   I just love the comfortable eye relief of the 27 Pan and the Radians, plus the sharpness and flexibility of the 3-6, but the small & light 24 Pan, and lovely wide field Nag is very addictive.....

Also, the lightweight 24 Pan, 9T6 & 3-6 are all I really need, one in the focuser, other two in my pockets, they all take the same dustcaps, are precisely parfocal and I can leave the 2" to 1.25" adapter in the focuser for the whole session.....

I've looked through other peoples Ethos's too, wow !  But not going that route........well not just yet :smiley: 

Regards, Ed.

• Like 3

now all this makes sense Shane ,as i was wondering when i saw your adverts of selling BGO`s,i was like hmm,i remember you liked BGO`s a lot and then suddenly all of them up for sale? Nagler will be a nice replacement for sure and as you are a manual telescope user much "user friendly" option too with very little to give up to BGOs.If you are after the T1 4.7mm be aware that 4.7 has quite poor eye relief :)

Looking also forward of you getting that "wierd" looking T1 9mm Nagler.Looking at that 9mm reminds me of Kim Kardashian`s famous booty :D

I saw one for sale recently and considered it. I used to own an 11mm nag, which was a great ep.  However, after recently developing a lump in the top corner of my eye socket I prefer as much eye relief as possible. I have an 8mm radian which is just right for me as far as comfort goes. Shame as I would like to get some old nags but they are practical for me anymore.

Nice piece Shane and some interesting photos. Interesting because you can see the varying coating tints that Tele Vue has used over the years.

These older TV's can be real bargains :smiley:

The Nagler "dynasty" can be confusing with the 6 types but no type 3's ever produced. There was a type 1 11mm but it is very rare. At the end of the day through they are tools rather than collectables - very good tools too :smiley:

I have 2 naglers 31 & 2.5mm and love them both.  I viewed the moon the other night with the 2.5 which gave me 216x with my refractor and the quality of the view was magnificent. all the TV EPs are great. The veil in my 31mm can't be beat.

Nice report Shane and I fully understand why the BGO's exited, they must be hard work with a Dob, though I still think the 13mm E is a hard act to follow. I have never seen the early Naglers before so thanks for sharing. I would like to swap a few things but where I am once I buy something, in particualr scope, I'm stuck with it unless I give it away basically. Eyepieces I can at least sell in the UK at a fair cost to me for a courier service, the lesson for me here is to make sure I really want a item for keeps first.

Alan

Here's my other two older Naglers, also about £100 each. The coatings look more similar to those on the Radian than anything else.

I really rate them as they seem to suit me better for all the usual criteria associated with eyepieces

post-5119-0-34883200-1425209182_thumb.jp

post-5119-0-79967500-1425209205_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Naglers have suffered over recent years from not being "the latest and greatest thing", with sales also being cannibalised from other in the Tele Vue lineup

I remember a review from a well-known observer that basically stated the William Optic / Sky-Watcher Nirvana UWAs were more-or-less as good - but now, a few years down the line - with the benefit of experience I really doubt that many would agree with that sentiment.

The prices on the used market make them very, very tempting EPs...

Nice post Shane - I'd add that the moon is a weird thing inasmuch as the dark patches *do* seem to emit some strange character of light with some eyepieces but not with others.

> There was a very slightly (spherical?) aberration

Not SA, no - "spherical aberration" is a kind of fuzziness (regardless of position in field) that occurs when the outer parts of the lens area are in use and are not focussing in the same place as the central zones of the lenses are (and for reference - in case anyone cares - "spherical aberration of the exit pupil" is yet another, completely unrelated, eyepiece issue...)