SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Vixen Atlux updates

Stu

Well the Vixen was feeling a bit left out vs the Orion Optics 300mm so I thought I would crack on with the updates I had always planned for it..

The Focuser it came with was a single speed Astrophysics traveller R&P. Nice, smooth and solid but still single speed and non rotatable. Through ABS I acquired a Baader Steeltrack 3" focuser, and through SGL, a Steeldrive motor unit for it (which will also fit the ST on the Dob which is handy).

The AP focuser was mounted using a very solid and well made Delrin adaptor, but this needed replacing to take the Baader. Cue Mark at Moonraker to make me a custom adaptor. This should be ready within a week or so.

Mark is also going to flock the scope and blacken the baffles for me to help improve contrast.

Lastly, and this will take longer as it needs to fit in with his other scope builds, he is making me a proper, nicely engineered sliding counter balance system which looks the part.

In terms of mounting, I've acquired a Meade Giant tripod and a 16" pillar to give me all the stability and height I need. The Ercole sits nicely on there for the moment, but an AYODIGI II is due soon to complete the setup, giving me push to functionality on this scope, great for finding those doubles quickly under my rubbish skies!!

Will post pictures once this is all back together and complete. Can't wait to be using the Vixen more regularly now mounting is sorted properly.

Cheers

Stu

looking forward to the pics Stu!

Mark from Moonraker is absolute "guru" when it comes to do something with your scope.

i have a Moonlite 2.5" focuser unit from him with custom made adapter installed on my one.And now OTA is much lighter,i was thinking of flocking the OTA too,but when i checked i found that my current original flocking is still perfect and i will not gain anything by doing so,as such it is left in its original estate.

And dont leave the Vixen out! Dob is fine but Vixen is Vixen :D

Interesting developments Stu :smiley:

The Meade Giant Field Tripods are really sturdy. They make the 2" EQ6 / CG5 tripods look rather puny !

Mine is the older refractor type. The later versions were aimed at the big SCT's and have legs that are shorter and more splayed.

Look forward to more pics of these updates :smiley:

Thanks both, looking forward to it too!

Don't worry Gaidis, the Vixen stays safe inside!!

Mine was only flocked at the front section so Mark is doing in between the baffles and the rear section so it's all sorted.

John, I've modded my tripod with some shorter adjustable stays so that the footprint is smaller and it stands taller. With the pillar it is plenty tall enough for comfortable viewing at the zenith and it also avoids keeps plenty of clearance between scope and the tripod legs.

Hi Stu,

Your thread passed me by first time around, but just spotted it :grin: . I'm sure you will be pleased with Mark's work, he did a lovely job on my D&G..he machined an aluminium plate to go on the back of the OTA and which would accept the Moonlite..you can see it on the pics I posted after I'd had the work done.

Pics, pics and more pics when done please!

Dave

Hi Stu,

Your thread passed me by first time around, but just spotted it :grin: . I'm sure you will be pleased with Mark's work, he did a lovely job on my D&G..he machined an aluminium plate to go on the back of the OTA and which would accept the Moonlite..you can see it on the pics I posted after I'd had the work done.

Pics, pics and more pics when done please!

Dave

Thanks Dave :-)

Here are a couple of 'teaser' shots which Mark sent me. Looking good!

I've opted to have the plate anodized in red to match the Vixen logo and add a little colour. This will also match the Ayo when it eventually comes!

The sliding weight system will be polished Ali with black weights and will mount on two rings, one just behind the dewshield, the other a little wider and just ahead of the adaptor plate. The rear ring will also carry two finder shoes, tidying up the two that were there and allowing some flexibility in positioning.

1fd4edda8a31f72ad74711a4f9d89f9e.jpg

4f92f898f3e3cc4049c6969961764ee7.jpg

Fingers crossed it all looks and works ok! The sliding mechanism will be below the centre line of the scope so will also compensate for longer, heavier eyepieces which cause balance problems near the zenith.

The scope should be useable later this week hopefully, just with the new focuser. Even just have this sorted with the motor will be great, much easier fine focus without vibrations!

The adaptor is done apparently, so I'm picking everything up tomorrow. Should be great. Won't have a finderscope for the moment but sure I can find Jupiter without [emoji6]

This is the Meade Giant tripod with pillar on top. Stays modified to be adjustable so I can tune the spread of the legs for the right height.

EDIT: As setup here the axis of the mount is at around eye level for me, I'm just under 6'

783ea7a073ce4a1afb1d3f3f55209821.jpg

8eed53a09f21bee67160239512d0debd.jpg

59d0dc8b14f5776c61f92999e7273ec4.jpg

Stu

The mount is looking good Stu - really solid those big old Meade Giant Field tripods are :smiley:

Heavy to though !

The legs on the tripod aren't at full extension though, are they ?

Interesting little video - thats exactly the way my focuser is fitted to my Istar 6".

Thanks both

John, no I think they are around 1/2 way out. I'm sure I've got plenty of height to play with.

They are fully out in this pic but legs spread to their fullest extent.

When I get the AYODigi it is higher than the Ercole so it will be fine.

906bd75b09d2c84109298bc372b88ce7.jpg

The AYODigi is nearly ready to ship. Hoping to have this for SGLX but it may not make it. Then I'll have to see what fits in the car. If it's a choice of Sumerian and Vixen it's tough to decide. I really want to see what the big Vixen can do under a good sky.

58a303a2fd4e2305dd601722b1ef877f.jpg

Well the old girl is back home safely, with new back plate and Focuser fitted. All looks excellent.

The tube is a little tatty where the old finder brackets have been removed, but they will be covered by the new rings for the balance mechanism.

One future decision is whether to go for a complete strip and re-paint or not. I love the fact that it is original, with the proper stickers on it, but it is certainly showing its age cosmetically. A decision for another day.

Scope is our cooling now, am hoping for a quick squiz at Jupiter later.

e6123b487edce85f1a744c24146c7676.jpg

c74ab2e3a444ccf37e1821df66a7f234.jpg

746b67f0133e5b85b51728e29bf36d90.jpg

Tripod and mount are very solid. There is a bit of flex in the clamp/dovetail area somewhere which hopefully will get sorted with the Ayodigi EDIT plus with an upgraded Losmandy clamp I have for it.

Stu

Very nice Stu :smiley:

Do you have / need a counter balance weight on the other arm of the Ercole ?

I don't know much about the AYO Digi - I assume it has a higher capacity than the Ercole, is that right ?

Thanks John.

Yes, it does need a counterweight for the Vixen, which I have but seem to have put it 'somewhere safe' at the moment. The movement without is a little stiff and jerky but I'm managing.

The Ayo can take 14kg without a counterweight and 18kg with. The ultimate capacity is similar but without CW is better. I had one before (which I should not have sold), and it just has a smoother feel to it. Encoders built in too which is handy.

Just had some brief but lovely views of Jupiter. GRS looking very clear, sitting in the indent in the SEB. Best view of GRS I've had for a while, but haven't seen it through the 10" or revamped 12" yet to be fair.

Haven't got too much time this evening, but may pop out later on to have another look.

(EDIT Did go out later but the seeing had deteriorated horribly so I didn't bother staying out.)

Very pleased with the focuser. Great to have the dual speed and it definitely makes it easier to get the focus bang on. It seems to unsettle the scope less aswell as you are using a lighter touch.

Will fit the motor focuser tomorrow maybe and give that a go.

Baader Steeldrive Motor Focuser fitted this morning, delighted with it. Very smooth and precise, I can make tiny adjustments to focus without upsetting the scope now. The toothed drive belt won't slip and it runs very smoothly. The zero position calibration works well so it stops instantly once fully retracted.

The only negative is getting it out to the focus position in the first place which is slow but I think I can do this manually before applying power to it.

c6771668dd671b5e7893f843d7278220.jpg

47de4b576b9f59cc9493500110cda595.jpg

0e2760de40b789118c9e7f976b9ebed1.jpg

9c49839d314b9df62b2f5e9859c132be.jpg

0dbd1e4a021d8c0af9520498c83691e5.jpg

Looking forward to giving it a go

Stu

Oops, just weighed the OTA with rings, dovetail and my sliding weight system. 18.4kg with no eyepiece, finder or diagonal . That makes it over 20kg all up.

Will see how we get on!

Oops, just weighed the OTA with rings, dovetail and my sliding weight system. 18.4kg with no eyepiece, finder or diagonal . That makes it over 20kg all up.

Will see how we get on!

It's now heavier than my Istar 6" F/12 !. Not as long though so that will help mounting it.

Scope out again tonight, this time with proper counterweight on it and the movement is much smoother.

The Steeldrive works brilliantly, really allowing the focus to be nailed precisely because the scope is rock steady.

One problem now, which may only be showing because of this is that there seems to be a slight collimation error. Not much but when focusing on the Galilean moons it is there. I'll do some more testing, not sure if it is the new focuser or if it has always been there.

The lens cell is not collimateable so I guess shimming is going to be needed in some form.

Jupiter still looking lovely and sharp though, looking forward to the shadow transit later.

EDIT As a follow up to this, I tried my T2 prism and the collimation seemed pretty good. Need more experimenting to check this properly

Archived