SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Atik 414ex vs 420

T997

I'm considering upgrading from a modded 450d to a ccd camera, but am having a tough time deciding. I'll be using an AT6RC with a CCDT67 reducer. I'd like to go monochromatic and use filters.

I'm considering the Atik 414ex as well as the Atik 420 (and any other ccd in the sub- $2000 range). Any thoughts on how these two cameras differ? Any input is much appreciated!

Thanks

I have just made the move from a modded 450d to a mono 414ex myself. I am using an Evostar 80ED, so can't comment directly on the RC, although overall I think the move has been well worth it (although it was still a painful hammer to the wallet).

It is a bit like snakes and ladders if you have ever played that game in that I find myself at the bottom of yet another astrophotography learning curve, but I am seeing that the additional flexibility and the improved resolution and sensitivity means I will be doing a lot more with the 414ex than the Canon. Many more targets are now in range and I am also trying out some spectroscopy + will attempt some photometry later in the year, which the 414 has enabled.

I have checked the stats for the RC against the 414, as I have had a look at that scope (the 6" + 8") for a possible longer focal length upgrade, and it is a pretty decent fit. With the reducer you are looking at 1.22"/pixel, which is a happy place to be and you get a very nice galaxy sized FOV with that. You have no chance of the fitting in the big nebulas without some serious mosaic work, and even my 80ED can't fit them in. Clusters and Galaxies + Planetary Nebulas are all great targets though.

Hi

If you do a Google search for the RC6 and atik 314 there are some great images. The 314 is the predecessor to the 414. Same size pixels and sensor. I've got the 414 and the 6RC but haven't yet had a chance to pair them up. Finding targets without amazing alignment is likely to be an issue but you can use plate solving software such as Astrotortilla to sort that out. If you go down this route let me know how you get on and we can compare notes.

Ed

• 1 month later...

Finally had a crack using my Altair 6RC and Atik 414EX. Pretty happy in all. Finding M51 was actually far easier than I thought it would be, rough polar alignment then used a few stars in the plough to align via stellarium. Found M51 on the first attempt. Processing LRGB images is a learning curve but a fun one at that. M51 below, 10 x 5m L, 5x5 R, 4x5 G, 5x5 B. 

M51   22 04 2015   Atik 414EX   LRGB (10x5, 5x5, 4x5, 5x5)   HEQ5, 6RC, APT   CC2014

I need to work out how to focus better using FWHM but otherwise I'm pretty happy.

Archived