Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Go Pro Camera

hovisjoe71

Has anyone ever used one of these for simple photograpghy/videos through their scope? I know they are neat little cameras for a discreet use, but the resolution and lenses on them seem like they might be pretty useful for simple/beginner astro photography?

Having had a look I reckon if you could get the lens off without damaging it too much it might be ok.  However it does depend on how well you can control it as in setting exposure and gain etc.  Most modern cameras tend to "think" too much so as to make it easy for the user.  But working in darkness is not normal so you may want a short exposure to beat the seeing but might get a longer exposure because it is dark.

I  don't know enough about the GoPro but lack of control is the usual downfall.

It would be great if I was wrong.

Having had a look I reckon if you could get the lens off without damaging it too much it might be ok.  However it does depend on how well you can control it as in setting exposure and gain etc.  Most modern cameras tend to "think" too much so as to make it easy for the user.  But working in darkness is not normal so you may want a short exposure to beat the seeing but might get a longer exposure because it is dark.

I  don't know enough about the GoPro but lack of control is the usual downfall.

It would be great if I was wrong.

Yea, the negatives often outweigh the positives when improvising. I think I could possibly make a mount but again you'd probably be aswell as investing in the proper equipment but the creative side in me loves to try haha! 

Archived