SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Celestron CPC 1100 and wedge

I have just picked up a used wedge for a CPC. I am having trouble getting it to fit to the tripod. (Do I remove the spring mounted bolts off the tripod) do I use these to connect to the wedge. Also I don't have any bolts to connect the CPC to the wedge so what type size do I need and it's very heavy and difficult to align. I looked on the Web but cannot find any help. Anyone have similar problems.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

Tnxs

Steve

Is it the HD wedge? If so it should come with separate bolts to attach the wedge to the tripod as well as the base to the wedge. Once connected follow these instructions to align

http://www.celestron.com/c3/support3/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=2549

To get a more accurate polar alignment get yourself an illuminated cross hair eye piece and practice a drift alignment. I found this useful:

http://starizona.com/acb/basics/using

No idea specifically about any answers but the bolts to hold the CPC to the wedge could be imperial.

They are the ones I assume that go into the base of the CPC.

A Meade i have takes 1/4 UNC and they are difficult to locate these days.

Got mine from the net, company in Bradford I think, sells them in small quantities, I got 5 and seem to have promptly lost them.

You may be advised if no one comes up with a specific thread to ask over on CN, they have a Celestron specific section.

Yes its the HD but no bolts as I said it's used but thanks for the links when I can sort out bolts I will be set. Tnxs

I dug out the instructions and manual that came with the wedge earlier but I'm afraid it didn't include the specifications for the bolts. There are 6 in total, 3 that attach the wedge to the tripod and three that attach the tripod to the mount. Maybe try calling or emailing Celestron directly? If you're really struggling I can disassemble my setup in the observatory and send you some pics and measurements.

James

Prior to wedge mounting a CPC, it may be worth Googling "CPC bearing mod" - There's ample info and guides on the issue.

For the sake of 5p, Celestron use plastic ball bearings on the Az bearing, which will flatten over time (due to the increased pressure on what is now the bottom of the Az bearing) thus affecting GOTO and tracking accuracy over time. At first, you'll note the clutch needs a bit more of a turn to tighten it up and by then, you're already on the way. Fortunately, it's a £2 mod, plus the time taken.

Russell

Archived