Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which of Jupiter's moons is this?

jimbo747

This is a stack of Jupiter, from last night. Video taken approx 23.00-23.30 26/2/15.

I captured a moon, and tried to use the 'Jupiters Moons' app to work out which it is - I thought it was Europa but unsure now. Anyone want to confirm?

get.jpg

Given you have GRS it's probably Io, the moons were doing a little dance earlier but by the time the GRS appeared I think Europa had gone behind Jupiter.

Tricky 'cause your pic is reversed.

Dave

Just looked at simulation and the GRS didn't appear until after midnight so may been later than you think, have you got a time stamp on it. ?

Given you have GRS it's probably Io, the moons were doing a little dance earlier but by the time the GRS appeared I think Europa had gone behind Jupiter.

Tricky 'cause your pic is reversed.

Dave

Just looked at simulation and the GRS didn't appear until after midnight so may been later than you think, have you got a time stamp on it. ?

From my laptop, video created 23:35 and modified (when it was saved) 23:38 so a little later than I thought (an earlier video was around 23.20)

Haven't tried stellarium, didn't know it could do that.

Cheers

Start Stellarium and press Ctrl and minus key to go back to 23.30 yesterday, centre Jupiter and zoom in, Ctrl up arrow, to see the moons then use the increase / decrease time to match your pic, in the settings you can flip it to match your scope.

Dave

Archived