Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Street light shades..

baggywrinkle

Yes - when the new LED streetlights went up in my area, my wife called the council to say they were shining into our bedroom windows and they put shades on a few days later. Big improvement so well worth a try. Saying it causes a lack of sleep (quality of life etc) probably carries more weight that interruption of astronomical observations, sadly.

Write a nice, courteous email to your local council and say that it is disturbing your sleep as wheresthetorch said. I got two lights shielded after our lights were changed to LED lights. Unfortunately people living near me complained that it made the road (read their path to their front door) too dark, so they were removed!  It's well worth a try though. Good luck. 

i got onto my council and they agreed to change the light from a sodium yellow which lit up more of the sky above the lamp, they fitted a led type lamp and they are very bright but they do shine down a bit more but mine could still do with a shade on the side of it. 

I have, with a sodium one shining over my back garden, but the sort of half shield they put in it doesn't really do anything at all. Light leakes out everywhere, and it hasn't made any difference at all to the amount of light in the garden.

Lance

Thanks everyone....will be putting pen to paper...well fingers to keyboard this week.

Hopefully itwont be long till you get some nice LED ones. where I live all the street lights are been replaced by LED ones and they have a nice light beam pointed down with no glare above them. You can even see stars just above them, you couldnt do that with some of the sodium ones. 

My back garden is also dark now as there was a sodium light in the next street that shone into it, not any more, so a good result.

Good luck with your letter!

i wrote an email to southern electric who have the contract for maintaining the street lamps in gosport stating that i was in to astronomy and i have telescopes and even though the new led lamps were much better then sodium ones, its lighting my whole garden up . within days they were round and fitted a shield inside but to no joy light still leaked out the back of it so wrote another email thanking them for their work previous but told them the problem and again within days they came out and sprayed half the lamps lens black which did the job . so may worth seeking out who has the maintence contract with them its usually on the lamp post with the lamp number.

good luck

i wrote an email to southern electric who have the contract for maintaining the street lamps in gosport stating that i was in to astronomy and i have telescopes and even though the new led lamps were much better then sodium ones, its lighting my whole garden up . within days they were round and fitted a shield inside but to no joy light still leaked out the back of it so wrote another email thanking them for their work previous but told them the problem and again within days they came out and sprayed half the lamps lens black which did the job . so may worth seeking out who has the maintence contract with them its usually on the lamp post with the lamp number.

good luck

That sounds like a result! goes to show what you can achieve by asking. There spending some brass up here on the LED ones. http://new.barnsley.gov.uk/news/bright-future-barnsleys-street-lights/

I have now moved to the new house and there is one street light on a corner (sodium) which will be causing problems.

Has anyone any experience of approaching the parish or district council and asking for a shade to be put on to cut out some of the stray light?

Funnily enough, yes. I think that you need to contact the county council. I contacted mine on 27th Feb as one light shines into my bedroom. One Tuesday I got a call from their lighting engineer to discuss it. I also mentioned to him that a light across the road shines in. He said that the one across the road can't be done as it is facing me, but that he would sort out the initial problem. Yesterday (4 working days after the initial call from me) a van turned up and fitted the light shield.

I can say that I was more than impressed. No quibbles from them, a genuine desire to help and good contact throughout. And the main problem solved in less than a week. Top marks to Lancashire County Council on this one.

We had the LED ones fitted here in the autumn, but due to the location of the column, it now shines directly down into the garden in my viewing area (obsy).

I've been away from work for the last 6 months so only now have I got round to fixing the problem.

They can shade the rears, but not the fronts (which is where my light problem comes from). Despite many polite letters, the solution has had to be my own - to make a shield to fit to the obsy to block out the light. It works, but is far from elegant.

Archived