SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Jupiter 26/02 from Bembridge (four in a line)

SnakeyJ

Nice conditions tonight, bar a strong breeze but seeing definitely better than average and the trans was excellent.

Shooting at 1280x960 I managed to catch all four moons in a line  Europa, Io, Callisto and Ganymede.   Frame rate was just under 30 FPS for this, so a smaller stack the normal, but still quite pleased with the result:

post-26731-0-32279100-1424995952_thumb.p

Lots of data to sort, but might nip back out for some more ;)

Cheers Pete and Robin - I think this will be okay with a little less aggressive sharpening on the moons .    I'm quite pleased with it as a setting.

Not so impressed with my other data though - everything looked good during capture on preview, but again the results look very flat and don't sharpen well with my normal wavelets routine.    Although the disk appeared to be resolved well and was stable with seeing, I suspect some 'fast seeing' holding back the fine detail.   Either this or I have screwed up the collimation, though again my star test looked pretty good considering.

This will be my last run for 4-6 weeks as I must pack the observatory up this w/end -  but sure the time will pass quickly and I can be back to wrestle with a low Saturn in May and June.   I think I will try and get one of the new ASI's or a 414ex (budget dependent) for some deepsky (planetary nebulas, smaller galaxies and globs over the summer).   Will keep an eye in here though to see what I'm missing ;)

Nice capture Jake! These CMOS sensors really come into their own when capturing all the moons in "XL" mode! As Robin mentions I had a big session last night but seeing was not great and the stacks are not...er great lol

Good luck with your move Jake!

Thanks Stuart, the extra pixels are handy but would be better with USB3 to support higher frame rates and a larger hard drive.    The stacking time on these was also quite painful - as AS!2 centres jupiter, I had to expand the stack to 1600 x 800 to fit everything in and then cropped back in post process.   If I do plump for the ASI174 then I will have to investigate a new obs pc with a decent sized SSD + 2TB SATA + lots of CPU cores for the post processing - have to see what I can beg'n borrow from work ;)

Seeing was quite odd, definitely looked good during capture, but I think some fast seeing erasing the finer detail or perhaps humidity - not sure I can explain that well, but certainly expected better results from the 'in capture' view.   The processed results are also much noisier/grainier than I've had from nights where the seeing has appeared much worse.    A lesson in humillity, no doubt ;)

Ive been away from home with work so havent had a chance to view myself

Youve got a really nuce result there. Shows the moon brightnesses and colours too

Sent from my iPhone so excuse the typos!

Great capture Jake. Love the four moons all present & correct - none being shy! Well caught!

Best regards,

Ralph

Thank you Lee and Michael, I do like this shot for the wider field and capture of all four moons and must get around to the reprocess, but quite manic at the moment and another clear sky beckons tonight - although expecting poor seeing.

Hope Austria was fun, I would like to be at the tope of a nice dark mountain myself once in a while and can always enjoy the skiing during the day ;)

Archived